Subaru WRX Forum banner

Brake "clank"

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  LeohMit 
#1 ·
I've been reading a ton of posts but now I guess I'll just ask. So the noise I'm hearing is usually when I'm pulling into the garage or into a parking space or something. I hear a distinct "clank" or a loud "click" noise when pushing the brakes to come to a complete stop. I can really hear it with my window down. To me it sounds as if its coming from the front driver's side. I just have no clue:( And another thing (may or may not be related) is I seem to also hear extra rattling over bumps coming from the same area, the front driver's side. The noise is similar to what I hear with my brakes except when going over bumps it more of a rattling metal sound. Its hard for me to compare it with anything else since it seems as if its done it since I've owned the car (bout 4 months). Its so annoying and I know its hard to diagnose these kind of things over the internet but I was hoping that someone has a good idea to help me out. Please if you have any kind of pictures post them. Or just explain what part you are referring to well enough because I dont know all the parts!:D Thanks guys and gals.

02 wrx

#3 ·
Thanks for responding dak. No I haven't looked at the brakes yet. Tomorrow is my last final in school so I was planning on putting the car up on the old jack stands and taking a look. I've got some brake cleaner so I'll give it a shot. Should I be looking for anything specific?

#6 ·
Cool I read the post. For some reason I never came across that one. Thanks for the additional advice. So tomorrow I'm pullin the wheel off and checking my brake pads and etc... I'll holler back if I can't figure out wtf is going on. Just dont need something else major to pay for on the car. I just got it back from the dealership getting my a/c fixed, and replaced the cam seal gasket.!Cry! The dumb thing is asked if the tech could check out my front end/brakes for me. They found my caliper was missing a bolt. So they fixed that and I though "cool im good to go!" But naw, the rattle is still there. But then I noticed on my receipt that the bolt they replaced was off the front right where my rattle/clank seems to come from the front left. Anyways.....does anybody else feel like me when it comes to owning a used car....u just want to go buy a brand new one so you know exactly whats been done to it?!!?

#10 ·
So here's the update. I pulled the wheels off, unbolted the calipers, and pulled them off. My pads look okay and dont look too worn. The caliper seems to slide back and forth perpendicular to the rotor well. So i cleaned the heck out of everything, pulled the anit-rattle clips out, adjusted them slightly, and reinstalled everything. I then took her for a quick ride and I never heard the clunk sound of the breaks. Everything appears to be fine now, although sometimes these funny noises like to "disappear" from time to time if ya know what I mean. I really tried to get it to make the noise but couldn't. Possibly they just needed a good cleaning or the clips needed to be adjusted. I'll keep ya informed if it comes back.

So heres a question. Refer to the pics in this link... Changing Your Brake Pads - ScoobyMods
I dont have the 4 shims or 2 sheilds described in this thread. Should I have them? Should I use grease on the back side of the pads (the side away from the rotor)? Dak the clips I believe they are talking about are the anti-rattle clips in the last couple pics of the link

#11 ·
If cleaning the pads and greasing everything up seemed to work that may have been the problem. if the tech said your caliper bolt was missing maybe one of them on the driver's side was loose and now you've tightened it up. more likely it was a sticky caliper. depending on mow much pad you have left i'd recommend replacing front pads. there's nice performance pads out there or much cheaper "auto parts store" pads that i've had much luck with (on my third set)

in addition, buying new pads will give you the shims you are missing, and yes, you should grease the back sides of the pads. less stick is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.