BOV troubles - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-14-2002, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

J-Dubb13 is an unknown
Angry BOV troubles

Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. It won't release and if it does then the 'piston' won't go back down to seal up the BOV causing my car to stall. I tried loosening the spring but that did not help. So i then went to my turbo shop and we took it apart and lubricated the piston making sure not to get any inside the engine and that didn't help. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake) so I am wondering if you guys have any ideas as to whats going on with my car before i have to bring it in to the guys at Subaru. Thanx in advance for the help
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-21-2002, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

STiWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to STiWRX
Are you able to drive the car with the stock BOV on there? Does it still stall? If you are having probs with the stock BOV, it sounds like it's time to take the car in to get looked at. Check your TGV's and make sure that they are plugged into to their respective connectors. Also, if you are running a boost gauge make sure that you are getting good (18-20mm) vacuum. If you aren't....you have a leak somwhere and you need to find out where its at.

Bill Janczewski
post #3 of 12 Old 02-01-2003, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boost21 is an unknown
OK can you convert that 18-20mm in bar or psi......sorry newbie.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-09-2003, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

TrboChgd is an unknown
vaccum is the oposite of psi so your cant convert . Hold on take that back 18" of hg is -18 psi. Try putting the stock one back on like stiwrx said. If the problem goes away, the bov is defective- see if you can return it. If not, good luck man!!!!

"natural is nice but i'd rather be forced and blown"
post #5 of 12 Old 02-16-2003, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubaruTech is an unknown
Re: BOV troubles

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Dubb13
Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake)
Jason

well ... looks like you do not have any bOV problems. Like they said, trace vacuum lines. and connectors, maf sensor connector ect ect.

I have a DSM. Im a Subaru Technician. I like to check out the site to help a bit with diagnosis and to learn about the "WRX perfrormance" end of the stick.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-05-2003, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

vindog2003 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to vindog2003
Is this something that is common with BOV
post #7 of 12 Old 03-06-2003, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
When adding a BOV you change the vacuum lines, which could be a common problem if that is what happened.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2003, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

IMPREZvWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to IMPREZvWRX
Quote:
Originally posted by Kobiyashi
When adding a BOV you change the vacuum lines, which could be a common problem if that is what happened.
You shouldn't be changing anything around, you should just swap your BPV with the new BOV.

I had the RFL, and I had a problem with it sticking open. I just oiled the piston, and it worked fine after that.

Chris
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Suspended

conejo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to conejo
why change the stock BOV , just for that phsssssssssssssssssss!!
useless in my opinion
post #10 of 12 Old 03-16-2003, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

IMPREZvWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to IMPREZvWRX
If you modify the car, it might get to the point where the stock one doesn't open fast enough or flow enough or even hold enough boost, then you will need to switch to an aftermarket one.

Chris
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2003, 03:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxratedII is an unknown
Re: BOV troubles

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Dubb13
Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. It won't release and if it does then the 'piston' won't go back down to seal up the BOV causing my car to stall. I tried loosening the spring but that did not help. So i then went to my turbo shop and we took it apart and lubricated the piston making sure not to get any inside the engine and that didn't help. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake) so I am wondering if you guys have any ideas as to whats going on with my car before i have to bring it in to the guys at Subaru. Thanx in advance for the help
Jason
i am running 17psi of boost and i cannot hear my stock bov valve open uless i rase the pressure from the stock setting, yes i have found a way to make the stock bov adjustable.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-30-2003, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

dolbnyc is an unknown
I think you can take the Turbo XS valve apart. I knew of someone that
had a similar problem, the cleaned out the cylinder, and I think change
the washers around. I think he may have also put a silicon, or lithiom
grease on the cylinder of the BOV.

I dont totally remember, but I do know it was sticking from dirt and dust
lining the walls of the valve