Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   BOV troubles (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/bov-troubles-995/)

J-Dubb13 12-14-2002 10:55 PM

BOV troubles

Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. It won't release and if it does then the 'piston' won't go back down to seal up the BOV causing my car to stall. I tried loosening the spring but that did not help. So i then went to my turbo shop and we took it apart and lubricated the piston making sure not to get any inside the engine and that didn't help. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake) so I am wondering if you guys have any ideas as to whats going on with my car before i have to bring it in to the guys at Subaru. Thanx in advance for the help
Jason:cool:

STiWRX 12-21-2002 08:07 AM

Are you able to drive the car with the stock BOV on there? Does it still stall? If you are having probs with the stock BOV, it sounds like it's time to take the car in to get looked at. Check your TGV's and make sure that they are plugged into to their respective connectors. Also, if you are running a boost gauge make sure that you are getting good (18-20mm) vacuum. If you aren't....you have a leak somwhere and you need to find out where its at.

Boost21 02-01-2003 07:39 AM

OK can you convert that 18-20mm in bar or psi......sorry newbie.

TrboChgd 02-09-2003 11:33 AM

vaccum is the oposite of psi so your cant convert . Hold on take that back 18" of hg is -18 psi. Try putting the stock one back on like stiwrx said. If the problem goes away, the bov is defective- see if you can return it. If not, good luck man!!!!

SubaruTech 02-16-2003 03:40 PM

Re: BOV troubles

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by J-Dubb13 [/i]
[B]Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake)
Jason:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

well ... looks like you do not have any bOV problems. Like they said, trace vacuum lines. and connectors, maf sensor connector ect ect.

vindog2003 03-05-2003 10:45 PM

Is this something that is common with BOV

Kobiyashi 03-06-2003 08:50 AM

When adding a BOV you change the vacuum lines, which could be a common problem if that is what happened.

IMPREZvWRX 03-11-2003 08:02 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kobiyashi [/i]
[B]When adding a BOV you change the vacuum lines, which could be a common problem if that is what happened. [/B][/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be changing anything around, you should just swap your BPV with the new BOV.

I had the RFL, and I had a problem with it sticking open. I just oiled the piston, and it worked fine after that.

conejo 03-16-2003 01:26 AM

why change the stock BOV , just for that phsssssssssssssssssss!!
useless in my opinion

IMPREZvWRX 03-16-2003 08:10 AM

If you modify the car, it might get to the point where the stock one doesn't open fast enough or flow enough or even hold enough boost, then you will need to switch to an aftermarket one.

wrxratedII 03-20-2003 02:58 AM

Re: BOV troubles

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by J-Dubb13 [/i]
[B]Ok I installed the Turbo XS BOV type H-RFL and it was working great for about 2 weeks. But now it seems to be sticking. It won't release and if it does then the 'piston' won't go back down to seal up the BOV causing my car to stall. I tried loosening the spring but that did not help. So i then went to my turbo shop and we took it apart and lubricated the piston making sure not to get any inside the engine and that didn't help. So i then decided to put the stock BOV back on and that doesn't seem to be working either anymore (i know it doesn't make much of a sound but u can still hear it when u have intake) so I am wondering if you guys have any ideas as to whats going on with my car before i have to bring it in to the guys at Subaru. Thanx in advance for the help
Jason:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]:) i am running 17psi of boost and i cannot hear my stock bov valve open uless i rase the pressure from the stock setting, yes i have found a way to make the stock bov adjustable.

dolbnyc 03-30-2003 05:57 AM

I think you can take the Turbo XS valve apart. I knew of someone that
had a similar problem, the cleaned out the cylinder, and I think change
the washers around. I think he may have also put a silicon, or lithiom
grease on the cylinder of the BOV.

I dont totally remember, but I do know it was sticking from dirt and dust
lining the walls of the valve