Bought 2004 WRX today very confused about power. HELP - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Running the aftermarket turbo intake pipe should be OK, if it fits and it's tight. You have to cut the stock one to remove it so I don't think you'll find a lot of stock ones out there.

You should really swap out those injectors for stock, or go get an open source tune on your car like basco is suggesting. I'm sure someone would trade you injectors if you put an ad on Nasioc.com.

And I would stop doing your test runs until you get a tune or change the injectors. Subaru's are pretty sensitive to proper tuning.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd replace that bad fitting hose. Mine tore and I went to Subaru, they are about $350. Go to a Baxter's auto or the like. I picked up another (had to trim it down) for $60. Still not sheap for silicone hose...but better. Or if you can get diameter and a length... ebay it. Just so long as you get 3 or 4 ply silicone hose rated for turbo applications.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #18 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

bocaks is an unknown
Steps you need to take...

step one:figure out what you want it to be when your done!!! if you don't set a goal and work towards it you will never have a car you are happy with. you will constanly wast money trying to have a working car in the short trem. so set a goal

next figure out what parts you have that can be use together to make the best setup possibale without excess cost or rebuying the same parts.

ie: you said you have cobb ap, sti pinks injectors and stock tubro and exuast. cobb offers maps that you can download to match your cars mods so look for options there eighter for a map that will work with your injectors(i'm running their 16g map on my 02 with the same injectors). and then just do turbo+big top mount+exhaust so that the car and map have a chance of working together.

from what you are saying about how the car is running it sound like the map is still for all the mods. I have run my car on the ap stg 2 map with pink injectors and it worked ok. a bit rich but nothing was close to blowing up. the boosting issues could be from vacume lines, or the little restrictor pill in the line to the boost controler. and the piping around the intercooler is key! if any of it is lose it will vent all your boost and flood out all the power. I know this from blowing off intercooler hoses. this is usally what causes the "let off the gas to accelerate".

are you sure the exhaust is stock? very unusal to run stock with any mod.

anyway the jist is you need to get everything ballanced out. the feul map not matching the car can cause all kinds of weird problems. and poorly installed componets are all bad.

if I were you I would check out the whole intake system for leaks and rember that it is under pressure.
the venting buy the stearing wheel could also be leaky intercooler if it isnt leaky fittings, sometimes the crimped on endcaps can leak.

its all coming together, after a year.
02 WRX

Last edited by bocaks; 07-26-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: additions
post #19 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

XSellR8nInMyWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocaks View Post
step one:figure out what you want it to be when your done!!! if you don't set a goal and work towards it you will never have a car you are happy with. you will constanly wast money trying to have a working car in the short trem. so set a goal

next figure out what parts you have that can be use together to make the best setup possibale without excess cost or rebuying the same parts.

ie: you said you have cobb ap, sti pinks injectors and stock tubro and exuast. cobb offers maps that you can download to match your cars mods so look for options there eighter for a map that will work with your injectors(i'm running their 16g map on my 02 with the same injectors). and then just do turbo+big top mount+exhaust so that the car and map have a chance of working together.

from what you are saying about how the car is running it sound like the map is still for all the mods. I have run my car on the ap stg 2 map with pink injectors and it worked ok. a bit rich but nothing was close to blowing up. the boosting issues could be from vacume lines, or the little restrictor pill in the line to the boost controler. and the piping around the intercooler is key! if any of it is lose it will vent all your boost and flood out all the power. I know this from blowing off intercooler hoses. this is usally what causes the "let off the gas to accelerate".

are you sure the exhaust is stock? very unusal to run stock with any mod.

anyway the jist is you need to get everything ballanced out. the feul map not matching the car can cause all kinds of weird problems. and poorly installed componets are all bad.

if I were you I would check out the whole intake system for leaks and rember that it is under pressure.
the venting buy the stearing wheel could also be leaky intercooler if it isnt leaky fittings, sometimes the crimped on endcaps can leak.
OK BOCAKS you seem to know exactly what I am dealing with. So I will answer your questions and give you some more info.

I bought the car from a guy who had a FMIC, 18g turbo, the pink top injectors, cobb ram intake, walboro 255 fp, full exhaust with up pipe and down pipe, etc.
He has sold everything off the car except the injectors and fuel pump because of the trouble of removing them I suppose. Anyways he put everything back to stock ( exhaust, intake, map sensor, turbo is stock with 20k miles, I did see that little pill in the boost controller line. What is that for? Is it a necessity?

My hopes for the car are around 300 hp and fairly fuel efficient then sell it and get an STI.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Here's a guy with a stock BPV if you're interested.

FS/FT: (For Sale or Trade) BOV, Turbo, Wideband, stock BPV, Big Nitrous kit, stock wheels 16", Injen intake - NASIOC

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #21 of 21 Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

XSellR8nInMyWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Just bought one thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement