Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   boosting problem please help this is a new one (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/boosting-problem-please-help-new-one-17076/)

AWDnewby 03-12-2007 01:33 PM

boosting problem please help this is a new one

ok i have an 02 WRX when i bought it it felt sluggish i put an electronic boost controller on it and took it off the next night relizing that was a mistake but the car boosted up to like 1.5 bar with that controller so no boosting leak or anything

well i took it all off and was running only .5 bar 7 psi boost i have no intake leak or boost leak i don't belive because of the high boosting with the EBC well i disconnected the solonoid from the turbo to run full waste gate boost and it still only wen tot 10 so i'm wondering if i hav ea wastegate problem or if there is something else that is the matter because with that line unhooked i shold be running full turbo pottential and i have checked the turbo and there is no damage or shaft play at all so please help with any ideas

wagonracer 03-12-2007 02:13 PM

Somebody will jump in and explain better than I can, but the stock BCS requires a restrictor pill in the vacuum line between the compressor out and the waste gate actuator. with out it you will only see 7-9 psi of boost. If you're running without the solenoid I have no idea what will happen, but I would think bad things. My car had a MBC on it when I got it and I put the vacuum lines back to stoc k so my EM could do its job. Much better...

SubiGURU 03-18-2007 04:35 AM

:) Just get a 3 port boost solenoid :)

nagyhead 03-18-2007 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Id check to make sure it is all connected correctly, that pill is very important and like wagoracer said. here is a picture of the connections

svwannabe 03-19-2007 03:02 PM

there is also that brass pill in the line connecting the t to the turbo. Quick question i just re-installed my factory boost controller and can remember which line goes to where on the boost controller. Can someone explain, Thanks.

wagonracer 03-19-2007 03:15 PM

One line goes to the T (wastegate accuator/compressor outlet) The other line goes to the turbo inlet hose (up at the MAF end) I'm not by the car, and my memory isn't good enough to tell you which one goes where on the BCS. Somebody with more brain cells left will be able to answer that one, or I'll check on the car later. Cheers

iwantone 03-24-2007 07:52 AM

what you are showing as the pill. well mine broke so i put a vacuum line connector between them. when i looked insied that little piece that broke it was strait thru the piece. should i get one of these new from the dealer? i dont really notice any different with the connector i put in there....let me know. thanks

humanwrx 03-24-2007 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same problem, To start my pill was in the wrong place. I switch the hose from the wastegate with the pill in it to the other side and now iam boosting at .1 insted of .05

ohhNOwrx 03-24-2007 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=nagyhead;142726]Id check to make sure it is all connected correctly, that pill is very important and like wagoracer said. here is a picture of the connections[/QUOTE]

Nagyhead the pill has to go between the turbo and the T connector, the arrow that you showed is just a connector. I have worked on many wrx's and that's where the pill sits. Humanwrx it looks like that you have the pill after the T connector and it's going to the wastegate, try replacing the lil hose and get it between the turbo and T connector.

[IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/bigpimp007/PILL.jpg[/IMG]

nagyhead 03-24-2007 02:38 PM

oh, you are right, my bad. I did label it wrong. sorry for the confusion

humanwrx 03-24-2007 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=ohhNOwrx;143860]Nagyhead the pill has to go between the turbo and the T connector, the arrow that you showed is just a connector. I have worked on many wrx's and that's where the pill sits. Humanwrx it looks like that you have the pill after the T connector and it's going to the wastegate, try replacing the lil hose and get it between the turbo and T connector.

[IMG]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/bigpimp007/PILL.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I did yesterday and it made my wrx boost correctly at .1mpa !Thumbs Up and For a whole year of owning the car it was only hitting .05... sad I should of figured it out sooner:pity:
The previous owner must of had a MBC and hooked it up wrong before trading it in.

awdturb 05-09-2007 10:52 AM

where can one get a lil brass pill?????

squidz 05-09-2007 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=awdturb;151901]where can one get a lil brass pill?????[/QUOTE]

If you are running a stock solenoid, get the pill from a subie dealer to ensure you get the right size. There are a lot of companies out there that offer pills of varying sizes for different turbo / solenoid / EM combinations. So be careful you get the stock one.

awdturb 05-10-2007 07:09 AM

thanks guy

awdturb 05-15-2007 10:12 AM

went to the dealer and ordered my pill cost $1.50. great deal. also i saw the SPT cat back in the show room for $495. almost bought it on the spot but the muffler looked a lil to conservative for me....whats everyone think about the spt catback...sound and performance?????....i dont mind something loud if it renders more performance....