Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Boosting problem (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/boosting-problem-2340/)

SpoolinTSi 06-23-2003 08:34 AM

Boosting problem

Ok, I drive a DSM ( 93 Talon TSi AWD ) im not here to start n e kind fo trouble, jsut trying to help a friend.

Ok, we just installed a boost gauge on my friend WRX, and he's only runing 8psi threw all gears,and his idle vac is 13. His stock boost is suppost to be 13.5psi, correct ? Any insites on what could be wrong ? Before we installed the Boost gauge, he had takin some hose off that would elt him run some insance boost. and hit fuel cutt a few times ( I told him that wasnt good , causes massive amounts of detonation in the cylinders and can blow a headgasket from that ), we went to the track a few times and the last time we went, he said his Turbo was making a funny noise. So n e help would be appreciated, and please no flaming! Thanks for n e input u can offer.

Cosmo 06-23-2003 08:44 AM

I'd be interested in hearing more about the hose you took off. If it's the hose with the restrictor in it - the one that runs from the turbo outlet to the wastegate - you need to put it back. The little restrictor in there is important. It effects how much pressure the stock boost control solenoid sees, and will make the ECU change when the wastegate opens.

SpoolinTSi 06-23-2003 09:35 AM

we put it back on, he was just messin around with that hose. Its been on for a few months now.

Cosmo 06-23-2003 10:47 AM

Hmm. I'd check to see if it's back on correctly.

What kind of boost gauge did you get, and where is the pressure line tapped into?

Also, you won't get much more than 8 pounds of boost in first gear, and not much more in 2nd. The ECU only allows you to reach full boost in higher gears.

Kobiyashi 06-23-2003 02:15 PM

I'm not going to comment on this. I let stupidity fix its own mistakes.

-Kobi

On second thought I will. I need to be fair to everybody. I would check all vacuum lines, as well as restrictors. 8lbs of boost feels like nothing, do you feel the turbo kick in? Fuel cut is at an insane level for a stock modded car, why would you do that? Check your turbo (remove it from the car) as well as all connections. Try taking a reading of the voltage off your MAP sensor. That will let you know how much boost you are running as well to see if it is just your boost gauge.

-Kobi

fc735 06-23-2003 07:22 PM

darwinism, right? check the restrictor inline, too. phil at TurboXS said they have had problems with the restrictor being bad....dunno, other things have already been mentioned...so iwont repeat
JOEY

SpoolinTSi 06-24-2003 11:14 PM

Its an Autometer Ultra Lite. He is getting 8psi in all gears, is that right ? ANd for the records, this is not , and i repeat this IS NOT MY CAR ! I know better than to mess with shit like that !

Anyway. The boost gauge is "T" off the BOV line , and I made sure that it wasnt restricting n e flow. There is 1 hose that is not connected, and we cant seem to think of where or what it is. its a line tahts near the manifold pressure hose that goes to the BOV. Any thoughts ?

fc735 06-25-2003 10:11 PM

it goes under the intake, to a solenoid, which ties into the vac nipple on the front side of number one manifold runner......has a check valve inline, make sure its connected. and just look and make sure its all connected, soemthing isnt hooked up right. lemme know what you find.
JOEY

SpoolinTSi 06-26-2003 12:06 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by fc735 [/i]
[B]it goes under the intake, to a solenoid, which ties into the vac nipple on the front side of number one manifold runner......has a check valve inline, make sure its connected. and just look and make sure its all connected, soemthing isnt hooked up right. lemme know what you find.
JOEY [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, Thanks man. Ill let ya know what we find.

SpoolinTSi 06-30-2003 10:50 PM

Well we found out what the problem was. His factory BCS crapped out and we went and bought a TurboXS HPBC and now he is runing 13.5psi, woohoo. oh yea and we got that hose that was dangling hooked back up, so all is well now. Thanks for the help guys.

Greg