Boost pulse? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Boost pulse?

I was putting on some intercooler hoses when I saw the boost control hose wasn't routed right. I tried to move it but it was brittle and the line broke at a splice fitting before the "T". I replaced the hose without the splice from the "T" to the inline doohicky on the bottom of the BCS. I was careful not disturb the elbow hose and the inline doohicky coming off the bottom of the BCS.

Now my boost pulses between .05MPa (7psi) and .1MPa (14.5psi) at WOT.

Help!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Pics? Im having a hard time visualizing what your talking about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 06-07-2014, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Pics? Im having a hard time visualizing what your talking about.

The dohickie that is on the elbow that goes on the bottom of the BCS. The line goes to the "T".
 photo IMG_22801_zps2c95c4d8.jpg

The "T" the line comes from. The splice connector was about where the line crosses the coolant hose.
 photo IMG_22791_zpseeee893c.jpg

All I did was replace the spliced line with a whole one. And install a Samco intercooler hose kit.

photo IMG_22301_zps2ab03084.jpg

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#4 Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You didn't remove the line with the restrictor pill in it did you?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 06-07-2014, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
You didn't remove the line with the restrictor pill in it did you?

This splice connector is all I took out. I replaced the line from the "T" to the elbow under the BCS with a new line..

photo IMG_22851_zpsd60625a4.jpg

#6 Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Okay. The line Im talking about goes from the turbo compressor housing to the "T" and usually has a spot of yellow paint on it where the pill is. If you did not take this one out then Im not sure what's wrong.

The only other things I can think of would be plumbed wrong, loose wastegate arm, or a leak but since you didn't change much I don't see how these things could be the culprit.

Either way, I wish you luck and hope you find a fix asap.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maybe I didn't get the new intercooler hoses on right. I read somewhere that might be it. I'M gonna' re-install everything all over again and check the BCS and the wastegate arm.

#8 Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Hairspray will help them seal. Old hotrodder trick.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#9 Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, here's what I did...I tried to make a new connector out of a squirt bottle tube and a WD-40 straw. First I went to test it to see if it was still messing up. It was. Then I put the squirt bottle tube spliced into the BCS line. I tested again. The pulse was less and it held for longer between pulses. It seems I'm on the right track so I stuck the clipped piece of WD-40 straw into the squirt bottle tube. Re-tested and no more pulse but boost holds solid at .06MPa. It looks like I'm on the right track. I'll post pics of my tube/straw mod as soon as everything cools off.

#10 Old 06-15-2014, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry It's taking so long to get back to this. UPS guy keeps buggin' me. It turns out this little connector is very important and specific to the model I have.

For the BCS to work properly the hole in the tube or the "connector" must be dead on. I substituted the connector with a makeshift connector I made with a squirt bottle straw. I heated up the straw so I could stretch it out to different diameters depending on where you cut the tube.(old hotrodder trick).

I then through trial and error I discovered what sized hole I needed in my homemade connector. This pic shows my connector with a piece of WD-40 straw in it to reduce the hole. It turned out this made it too small. With the red straw out the hole was too big. So,I made a new one that would just barely NOT fit the red straw.

BINGO!!! That was the sweet spot. The boost comes up normally and holds well in all gears. This will hold me over until my dealer comes up with the right connector sometime next week. I hope...I don't know how long a squirt bottle tube will hold up under the hood. I can't believe a squirt bottle tube means the difference between running and not running.

In the end all this crap will be replaced when I go to my tuner in August with my new 3-port BCS in hand.

photo IMG_2286_zpsc64d36c5.jpg

#11 Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I probably have what you need. I still think what your talking about is the restrictor pill.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I probably have what you need. I still think what your talking about is the restrictor pill.

Ok, here's the "T" fitting. Look at the hose going to the compressor housing nipple.(gigitty) It's bulging like a snake swallowed a big rat. That "rat" is the restrictor pill. AKA "orifice" Present and accounted for sir.

The line going to the rear goes to the wastegete arm actuator nipple. (gigitty) The third hose goes to the bottom nipple (gigitty,gigitty,goo) of the BCS .

Look closely at this line. About 2in from the "T" there is a cut in the line. This is where the piece I broke goes in the line. Subaru put that there,not me. I just put my makeshift coupler in with the right sized hole.

It wasn't just luck that I came to this solution. I used my brothers engineering degrees and his tablet and a OBD2 port dongle to map, chart and graph exactly what my BCS and turbo was doing.(Wanna' see the graph?) And research from other WRX forums. the problem is solved. Spread the word!

photo IMG_2287_zps6941066f.jpg

#13 Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Never said I didn't believe you. I had just never heard of this piece. I am however glad you found it. Knowledge is power. I did some digging around in my parts bin and think I found what you speak of. Thanks for sharing what you found.

Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
Well. This is interesting. I replaced that line as well on my bugeye. Still can't hit target boost, but I wonder if that has sonething to do with it. Would've liked to have been a fly on the wall during this. Also, I have a 3port bcs instead of the stock, though. Not sure if it was stock or what. Denso japan part. Meh.
#15 Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba James View Post
Well. This is interesting. I replaced that line as well on my bugeye. Still can't hit target boost, but I wonder if that has sonething to do with it. Would've liked to have been a fly on the wall during this. Also, I have a 3port bcs instead of the stock, though. Not sure if it was stock or what. Denso japan part. Meh.
If you have a 3port BCS then none of this matters. If you were stock when you were having a problem then this might have been it.