Subaru WRX Forum banner

Boost gauge fluctuations

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ratfink 
#1 ·
so i have a cheap mech boost gauge (equuis) but i had it professionally installed at Allmakes a subaru specialsit here in calgary and it does a couple strange things which may or may not be related to a boost leak, or high frequancy air fluctuations from what i've seen on the internet.

at idle it stands around -20 (which is perfect)
under light acceleration the needle jumpsback and fourth pretty intensley untill i reaches 0.
creating boost (0-about 11-12psi) the gauge makes a rattleing sound that is absolutely BRUTAL

Now i understand that gauges are often off a couple psi espically cheap crap gauges like mine buuut my issue is that i have no idea where Allmakes tapped into i've taken an extremely close look at all the vac lines from the wastegate to the bov line and most everywhere inbetween... other than disconnecting my intercooler and fakin around under their to find where they tapped into i have little options..

other relevant information..
04 wrx
K&N typhoon intake
Greddy full 3 inch catback

See less See more
#5 ·
Aahh ha!! spun by the shop this afternoon talked to the guys and they were very confident that everything was hooked up perfect..and that i didnt have any boost leaks... so i took a gamble and replaced the gauge with an auto meter...problem solved and i'm clearly running about 14 psi!!

note: do NOT purchase cheap gauges!! they friggen blow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.