Battery problems.... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Battery problems....

Hey guys, long time no talk.

Anyways, Ive been having this problem with my car recently. If I let it sit for a day or more, the battery is dead. Ive looking all around on anything that still might be running when the car is off, and I just cant find anything. I never had this problem for the 4 years Ive owned the car.

Thinking maybe it was the battery, I bought a new one (the old one was MAYBE a year old). Started right up. When I was done, the car sat for about a day and when I went back to it, dead battery.

Now I thought perhaps this was the alternator not charging the battery, but, as long as I go to start the car after its been running for a bit, it starts right up.

Ive asked a couple of people and they were stumped but someone said possibly a bad ground. Could that give these symptoms? Luckily I have a 2nd vehicle so Im not dying to get my car fixed asap. Otherwise jumping my car every morning would be getting old. I did do that for awhile. I also seems its getting harder to jump. I spent 30 minutes with it hooked up to my trucks battery with the truck running and it came close to starting, but just didnt have enough juice.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I would start out by charging your battery fully then check your grounds and do a resistance test on all your grounds and wires to make sure nothing is grounding out. Then get the car started and use a volt meter and measure the voltage coming out of the alternator to make sure its putting a charge out. If that checks out ok they you will have to start doing a voltage drop tests from your fuse panel.

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#3 Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
It has to be your alternator. You will probably have to get it tested, not sure if you have to pull it out to do that but that seems to be the only reason your car has no juice. A new battery wont last if its not getting charged. I'm guessing its the original alternator?

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#4 Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
You can check it yourself it should be putting out no less than 13.5V

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#5 Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Welcome back and good luck

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Yes, it is the original alternator. Whats the best way to charge a battery to full, and what would it be reading if it was fully charged.