battery drain - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Normanisnuts is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Normanisnuts
battery drain

I installed a Defi Blue Racer Boost Gauge on my 05 STi last Thursday. The install went very well. I tapped the "Lamp" wire and "Ignition" wire into the correct corresponding wires that power the central clock. I connected the "positive" wire to the positive battery terminal and connected the "ground" wire to the grounding site next to the battery. I tapped the vacuum line into the vacuum line on the BOV. I connected all wires using proper connectors and crimps.

Now, the battery seems to be slowly draining. Each time i get in my car, the engine struggles more and more to start. This morning the engine would not turn over at all. I had to jump start it. This problem only came about after I did the install, so I know i caused it. This morning after the jumpstart i reconnected the clock to its port, and left it behind the gauge pod.

Any ideas on why my battery is draining??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

05WRXRally is more helpful than not
You wired the boost gauge "hot all the time" which means there is a complete circuit all the time which is draining the battery, you need to rewire the positive side of the boost gauge to the power side if the ignition so its only on when the ignition is.

When the green flag drops...the bullshit stops
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i dont think its the guage thats draining your battery, because the guage shuts off after you turn the key off right. I would check your battery, or your alternator

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Not too familiar with the "blue Racer" guages but I believe that all DEFI guages are electronic .... if you wire them to a constant or continous power source theres a good possibility that it is draining your battery. If it was a mechanical guage I'd say no but because they are electronic I'd say its a good possibility.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

05WRXRally is more helpful than not
Ya he said he hooked up the positive directly to the battery

When the green flag drops...the bullshit stops
post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
My apologies, I did not finish my last post, I'm at work and my mind must be elsewhere lol Either way 05WRXRally is right ... rewire to ignition and this will fix the issue! once again sory for not finishing the last post!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Normanisnuts is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Normanisnuts
hey guys thanks for the help, i have been really busy latly but i got working right. after checking all the wiring again everything was wired fine. the alternator was good too. it was my battery... dead. So i replaced it with an Optima Red Top and it works great, it was just coincidence that the battery died about the same time i wired my new gauge. thanks again
post #8 of 8 Old 09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanisnuts View Post
hey guys thanks for the help, i have been really busy latly but i got working right. after checking all the wiring again everything was wired fine. the alternator was good too. it was my battery... dead. So i replaced it with an Optima Red Top and it works great, it was just coincidence that the battery died about the same time i wired my new gauge. thanks again
I knew it wasnt the guage.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement