badd rattle!! odd revving while spooling in 4,5th while hitting gas? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-21-2006, 02:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

rexin is an unknown
badd rattle!! odd revving while spooling in 4,5th while hitting gas?

Hello yall, it`s sure been a while. My car has been running good till recently. After I got my TBE put on, I have this bad rattle when the car is at idle, turn it off, & sometimes when I start it. I believe it is the heat shield hitting the exhaust, correct?? I have a 3 in. Apexi N1 CBE. My DP is a no brand (Helix style) 4in. Bellmouth. I had to go back to the shop so they can put another gasket on where the exhaust & Dp meet cause it got loose the first time the exhaust was put on. I dont know if there is a leak?? I do know that some DP`s have a common fitment problem, No?? & Now just recently..while on the freeway, mostly in 4th & 5th. round 80 @ 3,000 rpm. I slowly push the gas & my car revvs funny for a second & then spools normally. I watched as it does this & it will hit full boost & then go down & then back up?? Is this called surge?? & is that because of too much air?? thanks folks, the responses are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
sounds like a surge. could be an uppipe leak too. did you change your uppipe. how about the turbo heat shield. that could be hitting your dp. check your uppipe where it meets the exhaust manifold.
#3 Old 03-23-2006, 07:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
^^^^+1 Sounds like a heat shield rattle and leak in new exhaust from up pipe.
#4 Old 03-24-2006, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

rexin is an unknown
woulda figured it was my heat shield, I didn't change my upipe! where would the leak Be? Where dp and exhaust meet? I don't see any black smoke where turbo and dp meet! How do you fix surge? It is bad correct?? Thanx for the info
#5 Old 04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

shrockie is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to shrockie
did you get this sorted out? it sounds like the same problem I encountered after putting on a bellmouth DP. Turned out to be wastegate flutter. The spiking you are getting could be from the shop shortening the actuator arm too much to try to kill the rattle.

let me know where you are at, and what you've done.. I'll see if I can help if it's still driving you nuts.

here's a post about the wastegate actuator arm..

I just found a nice little doc on how to mellow out the ticking sound.. It really seems like it could be wastegate flutter.. I just gave it a test and it seems to be working a little. Only took about 15 mins. and a 10mm wrench.

they advise 3 turns. I think I only did 2 to play it safe. I'm going to hook up my boost guage (access port) to make sure I'm still safe then give it another turn or so.. Just easing into it.. I'll let you know if turning further helps more. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/arc...hp/t-3654.html

photo:
http://cakonos.image.pbase.com/image/22312910.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

cheers,

Joel