Bad synchros 2nd gear - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

BADAZZWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BADAZZWRX
Bad synchros 2nd gear

I own a 2004 WRX with 8,000 miles on it. My second gear is starting to grind like a synchro is going bad. With only 8,000 miles on it this is not normal my friends Talon TSi has 104,000 miles on it he drives the hell out of it with not many problems. When I shift anywhere above 4,000 rpms, it doesnt matter how easy I shift it, it still grinds. If anyone has experienced bad synchro problems or had the dealer replace it please let me know what happen. I appreciate any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2004, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
i tend to blow all traces of any metal off of the gears myself.......

it does sound like a synchro issue, if you have no major mods, i would take it in to the dealer and see what is going on. they will ###### tell you that you need to change the tranny fluid first, then see what happens......you will get the run around for a while, till they see it has an issue.

then it should be under warranty.......unless you are like me and on the blacklist.....
#3 Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jmoney007
Yes my 5th gear is the same way.. ANy shifts over 4k or under a heavy load and its grind or a pop if I'm lucky . Subaru is fixing mine for free, thank god. Ask for synthetic when u have it fixed. They (subaru) recommended it to me.
#4 Old 02-09-2004, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

BADAZZWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BADAZZWRX
Thanks for the Feed back
#5 Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

gverdinez is an unknown
MY04 did the same thing on 4th gear, for like a month. But all of a sudden it just stopped doing it. That was like 3 months ago.
#6 Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sneed79 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Sneed79
mine does that to when i am going from third to forth gear I have found that if i take all the way to red line it don't do it any more so i am going to wait till it gets bad then put all my stock shit back on it and let subaru eat that bullet
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
I would rec. switching to redline mt-90 gearlube to start, fixed many grinding synchro problems I've encountered. if this doesnt fix the problem, take it in to the dealer and get it fixed under warr.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
#8 Old 03-08-2004, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevewrx is an unknown
I just posted about the same problem - 2nd to 3rd is bad under load. The dealer is going to fix it and I'm going to have them refill with redline MT-90 - Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem!
#9 Old 03-10-2004, 07:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevewrx is an unknown
Dealer said no on the synthetic fluid - 2nd gear is acting up as well now. Oh well - if they want to keep fixing it rather than solve the prob. - fine.
#10 Old 03-11-2004, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
I would rather swap the fluid after getting the car back to a superior synthetic, than have a constantly reoccuring problem. the most common issue is the proper fluid not being in the trans from the start. most synchros are bronze or a composite friction material (like a friction plate in an automatic) the P.O.S. Chrysler powered Eclipses had those type of synchros, they were filled from the factory with GL-5, this agressivly destroyed the bond of the friction material on the synchros, causing damage if not corrected quickly. we did a crap-load of trans rebuilds because of this, the thing was, all we were supplied with for fluid was GL-5! it needed to have GL-3 or GL-4 without the high pressure agent (like GL-5)
sorry for the rant, still peeved about the DSM tranny thing!

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
#11 Old 03-12-2004, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
AZ-Scooby being a dealer Technician isn't it accurate to say most dealers will use nothing but the manuafacturers fluids etc on a car that is still under warranty.

SteveWRX yes let them fill it with the Suby oil and take it ome and chage it out for good quality synthetic. I just received my MT-90 from FedEx now all I need is a nice day to do the work and not freeze to my driveway!
#12 Old 03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

stevewrx is an unknown
Just got my car back from the dealer. They replace the 3rd and 4th gear synchros under warranty. Two days turn around time - not bad! I still plan on refilling with redline - weather is getting warmer for some driveway work
#13 Old 03-17-2004, 01:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
yes, we are supposed to use the factory supplied fluids, however at our dealership we allow the customer to supply his own fluids if he requests it. but most will not budge on the subject due to warranty issues with unknown products. glad to hear you have your car back, make a mental note of the way everything feels, then switch out the lube to the synthetic and let us know what you think!

#14 Old 03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

sunny is an unknown
er.. just get a free tranny .. by taking all the trany fiuld out and drive that trany till its .. then fill it with some new fiuld .. HAHAAHA .. before your warranty is gone. lol.. but i wouldn't do this.. but it will work. FOR THOSE WHO WANT A FREE TRANY before warranty is over. lol
#15 Old 03-18-2004, 02:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jmoney007 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jmoney007
Yeah... I just got back my car. 5th gear is all good. ANd they filled it up with MOTUL sythetic. BUt then they replaced my flywheel and clutch with the "new" POS set up. It sucks. I can feel the weight differece in flywheel and the clutch makes more sounds and clatter in 1st gear engagement than before.!Cry! I didn't even ask for it. The cluth has a less pressure plate back .ANd the flywheel weights more. The exact Opposite way I was planning on going.They just took did it with out telling me.... Oh well.....
jeremy
At least it only cost me $38 bucks..... Plus I got to roll around in the outback.