bad gas leak - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
bad gas leak

02 WRX stock everything.

I read a recall on 02-03 WRX's for a fire hazard on a fuel line, something about where it goes from a rubber line to a hard line... but does anybody know where this is exactly located?

Just curious because my car is now parked at my brothers house 150 miles away because it sprays gas out like crazy when the key is turned on only. I cant see exactly what it is leaking from, but i can see the area it is coming from, and this all from memory... it is spraying from where the air intake hose (i think, .. its the big one that comes from the filter box and goes toward the intercooler) but its underneath that hose and out of my sight just barely. looks to me like there was 2-3 fuel lines in there, a rubber one in front, and 2 hard lines behind that, but not sure.

so I will be calling some shops to get quotes, but its a small town and i can only hope someone knows hat they are doing with subaru's up there. But i was curious if anybody knew info on the recall

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
nice to know, thanks. I'll look it up a bit man.

This?RECALL: 02-03 WRX Fuel Leak

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

yea, thats what they are talking about, i dont live in one of the "cold weather" states, but they did update for the other 34 states a 12 year and unlimited miles fix for it... i guess i will be calling a dealer soon to find out where this leak is located
#4 Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Noted, thanks for the insight

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

So,kinda strange thing happened... it doesnt leak gas anymore..... ! my car is parked at my brothers house, so i didnt have to tow it 150 miles, and he said he turned the engine on to check it out and see if there was anything he could figure out... and no gas leak.... he said a slight smell of gas here and there , just a whiff. but the car has been doing that for a while and lots of people on here have that same problem.

So im starting to thing it was the pressure of the elevation, the car was parked for 3 days at and elevation of about 7000 feet while was backpacking, gas poured out upon startup when i got back to it. has anyone else had this problem before? seems it should be just fine no matter what elevation its at..
#6 Old 07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewest209 View Post
So,kinda strange thing happened... it doesnt leak gas anymore..... ! my car is parked at my brothers house, so i didnt have to tow it 150 miles, and he said he turned the engine on to check it out and see if there was anything he could figure out... and no gas leak.... he said a slight smell of gas here and there , just a whiff. but the car has been doing that for a while and lots of people on here have that same problem.

So im starting to thing it was the pressure of the elevation, the car was parked for 3 days at and elevation of about 7000 feet while was backpacking, gas poured out upon startup when i got back to it. has anyone else had this problem before? seems it should be just fine no matter what elevation its at..
Hmmmm I'm kind of doubting elevation would unless the lines are getting old and brittle, but even then it's a slim chance. Did you see gas pouring out? The leaks I've seen that people say gas is pouring out aren't really that bad. A few small drops of gas can carry an odor.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes it was pouring out like it was under a lot of pressure, i couldnt see the actual leaking spot, but it was like a mini pressure-washer blasting gas all over, and 2 separate streams (almost) draining from under the car. probably would be a gallon in 5 minutes... maybe a little longer, but still, a lot of gas. now nothing.... wierd. im thinking about driving up there tomorrow, and if it seems ok i might drive it home, then at least i can actually look at it, or bring it to a shop down by home.
#8 Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Just be careful. If the problem starts again 75 miles into your trip, your screwed into a 75 mile tow$$$$

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewest209 View Post
yes it was pouring out like it was under a lot of pressure, i couldnt see the actual leaking spot, but it was like a mini pressure-washer blasting gas all over, and 2 separate streams (almost) draining from under the car. probably would be a gallon in 5 minutes... maybe a little longer, but still, a lot of gas. now nothing.... wierd. im thinking about driving up there tomorrow, and if it seems ok i might drive it home, then at least i can actually look at it, or bring it to a shop down by home.
If it's leaking that bad I'd suggest replacing all the rubber lines and even check for leaks along the fuel rails...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...