bad 5th gear/reverse shift fork? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boredazhell is an unknown
bad 5th gear/reverse shift fork?

So for the past two days I've been searching through subaru forums (nasoic, 25rs, and wrxtuners) on a issue I've been having on my 06 wrx. I've read a lot of transmission threads which were very informative, but nothing that exactly relates with the issue I'm having.

After a long drive on 5th gear on the freeway (1 hour), my fifth gear was stuck. I will pull the clutch in and that shifter is stuck on the 5th gear position. After coasting for 5 secs, it finally releases. I thought it was a fluke so I shifted into fifth again it; it grinds lightly going in and gets stuck again for 20 secs. Now when i reverse it pops out of gear when I put any kind of torque when pulling back.

At this point I'm avoiding fifth gear. I am only shifting gears 1st-4th which are fine with no issues at all. I am still able to shift to reverse, but it still pops out if I put any torque to the transmission.

I've read everything from people getting stuck on fifth but the shifter is not stuck on fifth. Or people reporting fifth gear pops out but no issues with their reverse.

I am guessing it is the 5th/reverse shift fork since both gears are affected. I am also leaning towards a loose input shaft nut. I just wanted to get somebody else's insight if you believe I am completely wrong or somewhat correct. I just want to have a plan before I take out the transmission over the weekend.

Thanks everybody.