Another Click/tick Issue - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cnlor is an unknown
Another Click/tick Issue

Okay, So I finally decided to make an account here after hours of researching.

Problem: Misfire on all four cylinder according to the check engine (thinking its the lighten flywheel). Now it makes a tick or clicking sound from the cylinder 3 unless I give it no spark or fuel. The car seems to be running fine. Just an annoying tick/click, when I actually test to see if there's a misfire by unplugging the coil pack connectors on cylinder 3. The engine seems to be stable just like the same......but when i take it around the corner you could totally tell its running on 3 cylinder. Done a compression test and it's good. Check spark plugs (new ones, one step colder plugs) regapped and all and it's good. Check coil packs and it's good, Check injectors and it's good. the noise happens right when i start the car up...it also progressive with the acceleration of the car.

Can it be the valvetrain or springs?

Before this occured: I was boosting 23psi on my 18g and my fmic pipe came out and the car died so i stopped at a parking lot to tighten it down more. while trying to start that car it wouldn't start right away after fixing the pipe so I kept trying to turn it on and it came on. The next morning I drove it to work and it started to make a ticking noise. It has gotten louder and louder ever since. Its so loud it sounds like an exhaust leak but theres no exhuast leak at all.

Last edited by cnlor; 05-23-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: adding more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So you overboosted to 23 psi or that was standard? Either way that's a lot of boost for the gas you can get in AZ.

Regardless, sounds like either rod knock or a bearing issue.

-Chris
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cnlor is an unknown
ok......i'll put that into consideration but no my car was tuned at 20psi but my tuner said he'll make it a little rich so i can run a couple more pounds.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cnlor is an unknown
if its the rod knock....the car wouldn't be able to function right or what? because i can still go into boost and everything. thanks. it does sound like a rod knock from listening to other people though.....
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If its the rod, yea you can drive the car. Is it good? Absolutely not, the more you drive it the more damage you are causing internally to your engine. Might want to start looking at either beefing up your 2.0, or search for the hybrid build/setup and go from there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cnlor is an unknown
a hybrid build? damnnn....that sucks. i don't know how it could be the rod knock though....i really can't tell...i'm hoping its just a valve spring or something smaller like that...cause i don't hear the noise when i take the plug/fuel away from cylinder 3.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
A hybrid build is for the 2.0 guys out there. There are several members here that are running it. Its basically the STI short block with your 2.0 heads. There are alot of possibilities for this setup, or even if you have to rebuild your original motor. Im not trying to give you the worst case scenario, but this is something that could be the issue with the car. Maybe time to just start looking at the possibilities if it comes to that. Good luck with the car and be sure to keep us updated with what the issue is.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cnlor is an unknown
ok. thanks for the help. I'm planning to take the motor out june 16th. So i'll take alot of pictures and clips to see whats up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement