Air filter bogging low rpms - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

dumond123 is an unknown
Air filter bogging low rpms

Recently bought a 2005 Subaru Impreza wrx sedan, mostly stock, other then FMIC, hks bov, oil catch can, 3inch turbo back, MBC set to 10psi, and short ram intake.

Recently purchased a brand new oem denso MAF thinking it was the issue.

Too the problem, the car idles perfect with any brand air filter on i have tried k&n AEM and spectre, all new, but when i go to take off the car bogs and jumps from 1k-3k rpms then smooths out completely, now when i take the air filter off and run an open pipe the idle jumps from 500 - 2k and sometimes evens shuts off, but the car goes through all rpms smooth as can be.. i have been running with the filter on just to be safe and its really not all that bad too deal with but i would like to know why its doing this..

Also, i don't think this issue has to do with the air filter issue considering it does it with and without one on, when i go to shift and let of throttle and push in clutch the rpms go up another 1k and kinda just wanna stay up there but then drop down.. its worse when getting on it, was told its a vacuum leak but i cannot find any.. motor doesn't seem too be too messed with either.

All answers are appreciated!!! thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ditch the HKS bov and get a stock bpv (or another aftermarket unit that recirculates fully). Ditch the mbc and buy a 3 port ebcs and get a professional tune immediately. Also, the fmic is overkill for your stock TD04 turbo - it'll work, but your car will have significantly more lag than it would with a large aftermarket tmic. You might also want to look into an aftermarket catless up pipe if you don't have that already... it's a safety mod on WRXs prior to 2006.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

dumond123 is an unknown
Was hoping for a cheap fix >.<