Air Conditioner Problem??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
Air Conditioner Problem???

I have a 05 WRX wagon stage 2. Ever since I got the car a few years ago the AC has never been really cool. Last week topped it off with 134A to factory specs and made a little difference. I put a thermometer in the vent and cruising down the highway it is blowing 45-50 F recirculating air. Not too bad but on a 110F day the cabin stays 83-90F with baby in back. My wife's Chevy Cobalt is like an ice box and will make you shiver on a 110F day. I know Subarus are notorious for high frequency of compressor cycling to prevent icing and I hate it! Any Ideas on what I can do or is what I'm experiencing normal? Maybe clean the evap coil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Oh, BTW, I bought a can of name brand 134A and the instructions advised to fill it to 50-55 psi according to 105F ambient temp. WRONG! My compressor started making all kinds of racket around 50 psi and I quickly jammed a phillips head into schrader valve on low side to relieve pressure until it stopped. Suby service tech told me that at that temp it doesn't need to be higher than 40 psi. Any other car I've owned I always filled it to 50psi on a hot day and never had a problem.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
My 02 is like that to. On nights or cloudy days in Florida, it makes me shiver. On hot sunny days, it takes awhile to get to the temp I want. But the air temp coming out of your vents sounds about right.

-Derek
post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Mine struggles on hot days too. Always has. I think it's just something with Japanese cars as my previous Honda's had trouble too.

Oh, and hot to me in Chicago is like 92. I used to live in Tulsa so I know it's much hotter there.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
And if your still curious, I know there is shops around where I live that do a free check up. And even if it does cost money, it shouldn't be alot.

Buttt watch out, cause I had a shop try to charge me ( I forgot how much) over a hundred dollars for a hose that was leaking...I fixed it with a o-ring I had found (so lucky) and JB Weld. Still holding strong.

-Derek
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

No leaks or problems, it just doesn't blow cold like an American car would... Wife's Cobalt blows 35F air with more powerful blower on a 100F day....lowest mine was is 45F at 100F. It has been explained to me that "That car comes from Japan where the weather is neither really hot or really cold and their cars are perfect for their climate." Makes sense.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
That's one thing ill give gm...they do use good ac components. Every gm ive ever been in is like a deep freeze.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXParamedic View Post
No leaks or problems, it just doesn't blow cold like an American car would... Wife's Cobalt blows 35F air with more powerful blower on a 100F day....lowest mine was is 45F at 100F. It has been explained to me that "That car comes from Japan where the weather is neither really hot or really cold and their cars are perfect for their climate." Makes sense.
Yeah, I've heard that too. But my sisters Honda gets ice cold quick...idk.

-Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement