AC Compressor Whine - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

pumm3l is an unknown
Question AC Compressor Whine

This noise just started recently when the cold weather started. I have a stethoscope and I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to the AC compressor, it's the only place that I can really hear the noise.

What would cause the AC compressor to whine? It still blows cold air, seems like it has a full charge because it's not really surging when I have it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pumm3l is an unknown
took a short clip of the noise:

http://www.stempsite.com/misc/ac_whine.wmv
#3 Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
My car just started doing thew same thing! I had a mechanic where I work look at it and he said it's probably the little pulley just under the AC compressor, I think it's called the pulley tensioner. Basically the little guide wheel for the fan belt t othe AC. I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet though, but I bet thats what is wrong with yours too.

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#4 Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

a.young is an unknown
I have the same problem . It only whines when the AC is on . I figure i will fix it when it gets hot again

stage 2 STi...and still not enough
#5 Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Ian

Just to let you guys know, I replaced my idler pulley and the noise is gone! Turns out the bearings were shot in there causeing the noise. The part is about $39 bucks so you might want to remove yours first and give it a spin in your fingers t osee if it sounds like a bad bearing noise. It's very easy to remove.
Good luck, Ian

#6 Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

subieracer18 is an unknown
where did you buy the idler pulley from? I was tightening mine the other day and the part where the bolt screws into the wheel broke off!! it was plastic it seems. do you have a pic of yours so i can tell if it's the same piece?
#7 Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

burtonboy759 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to burtonboy759
seems like i might have the same problem as you guys. just noticed it the other day, i just took a 3000 mile trip to florida in my rex and now i guess she's getting back at me for driving it too long. i was afraid it was my timing belt for a minute, wasnt looking forward to getting that replaced. is there any decent places i can get a replacement idler pulley?
#8 Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Ian

Just go to the Subie dealer there about $30 bucks for a brand new factory one

#9 Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

natron30 is an unknown
having the same problem, noise is def. coming from the a/c compressor but the belt looks fine. not noticing much of a difference in the noise whether the a/c is on or off. But the A/C is still working fine?? hoping maybe it's my idler pulley also. any tips on removing the a/c compressor/checking if that's what the problem is?

THANKS!
#10 Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

413TreX is an unknown
same thing happend to me, i never use AC so i just cut the belt and poof, no noise.
#11 Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

pumm3l is an unknown
the noise in my clip was related to the idler pulley, I changed it out and the noise went away. It sounded like the AC compressor but I guess because the idler pulley is so close it sounded like it was coming from there.
#12 Old 09-28-2009, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Codeman is an unknown
Exclamation Noisy Air-con Tensioner pulley

I can confirm with some of the posts in this thread that where the sound seems to come from the Air-Conditioner, it will most likely be related to the Tensioner pulley. When my MY03 WRX started making a whining sound about 3 weeks ago, I couldn't work out exactly where the sound was coming from until the pulley wheel disintegrated and melted onto the front timing cover shredding both fanbelts in the process and almost starting fire from all the melted components. I advise for anyone to change this component ASAP when they first hear the whine.
#13 Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Just before 60k miles, my AC pulley was squealing pretty bad just about every time it turned on and it was pretty embarrassing. I have a feeling the belts just stretched a little over time because when I replaced them and snugged the new ones down pretty good, all of the squealing stopped.

...so before you guys go out and buy all kinds of parts, you might want to try gently snugging the existing belts first.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#14 Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
mine doesn't wine per say...but the bearings in the compressor are bad and make a terrible noise...my next task will either be replacing the compressor or just deleting the A/C system I haven't decided yet

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#15 Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

acbasmith is an unknown
Need Adjuster and Shaft bolt and nut for AC Idler Pulley replacement?

Hi all,

I had the same problem and replaced the AC pulley idler and it's all fixed. But I read somewhere that I need to replace the Adjuster and Shaft bolt and nut as well b/c the new pulley doesn't fit the old threads? Part number 73134AC001 I think?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!