4k rpm's and up feels like MAF - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2008, 02:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dubrex2002
Cool 4k rpm's and up feels like MAF

when i push the throttle no matter if its easy or hard my 02 wrx wih 87k miles on it.i change the oil every 3k religiously..using oem requirement..and it feels like its loosing air/fuel/spark...No CEL...hooked to auto-ray scan tool everything was fine...its like it takes one of those away and the car kinda die's then goes full throttle then dies a second after that..the most boost it puts out is 12psi..the turbo has been making a fluttering sound at low rpm's in high gears..and at high rpms it screams...its been fluttering and screaming for about a month or two now..about 4 months or more ago i took the turbo off and changed the gaskets..the gaskets are not leaking but the drain for the turbo was leaking...at the college i unhooked wastegate rod..still had the problem let rpms build slow and it still does it..my automotive teacher at the college said its the turbo if its been making those noises..every once in a while it cuts the car off completly..the only mods are k&n drop in..hks ssqv bov.mufler...i have a tdo5 16g turbo on the way..i was planning on getting it anyway..any ideas on if the turbo is the problem or if it could be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
That made little sense. Try describe exactly what your car does and when, not what you think it is.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#3 Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
when i get to around 4k rpms it cuts out like when u hit the redline and it cuts out and you can keep pushing the throttle and it just keeps dying...and if you hold the throttle to the floor around 4k it will just keep going back and forth......like your hitting full throttle then dropping off and it keeps jumping back and forth.....and the most boost i have hit is 12 psi.....and when it starts doing that it feels like when a MAF sensor is out and it jumps and jerks
#4 Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Reset your ECU and go for a drive to see if that helps at all.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#5 Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Do you have an after market intercooler or removed your stock one recently? It sounds like you have a leak in your IC piping. Check all your piping and make sure they're all the way seated and that all your clamps are tightened. I had a pretty much identical problem after my turbo/fmic install.

Basically what's happening is when you accelerate slow and low, you have no problems because your turbo is making little boost. When you get on it, boost increases and leaks out almost feeling like you're redlining. Only you're not getting fuel cut, but 'boost cut.'

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
it does the same thing if i accelerate slow....and its starting to cut off completely now......it died on me when im setting still and when i was going up a hill...and when it dies its barely idling at 100 to 200 rpms and its struggling to do that then it dies..and a few times it didnt die it idled itself up to 2000 to get it going again.....
#7 Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
u need to stop driving it before something bad really happens and u need to get it fixed. check all your lines and tubing. if u can't figure it out get a reputable mechanic to fix it. spend a little now would probably save u tons in the future.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#8 Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Sounds like a boost leak.If you have access to an air compressor you can make a cheap adaptor using stuff from your local hardware store.You still running the stock turbo inlet?Maybe try cleaning your MAF as well.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 03-16-2008, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
okay ive reset my ecu and its fine now..but its only got about 28 miles on it after the reset and the usual driving cycle is around 50 miles..and ive mostly drove it short distances....turbo still has the death scream so i havent gotten on it any...
#10 Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
have you changed your spark plugs? sometimes they may be fouled if it feels like it is cutting out.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#11 Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
it has 87k miles on it and they were changed at 60k
#12 Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

darthsofearu is an unknown
you guys are all funny. dude it could be any of those but it definately sounds like your IAC. if you dont know ,that is your idle air control valve. it is very easy to clean. what it is is that thing to the right of your throttle with 2 screws in it. unplug the coolant line and the wiring connection. take a flat head srew driver and tap it to make sure you dont strip the screws. it should come right off. take that piece that came off and spray some brake cleaner in it and let it set. take some q tips and wipe it clean. fill it up again and wipe it out. then take an air hose and blow in it to get everything out. spray some brake cleaner on some q tips and wipe out the part of the valve that is connected to the intake manifold. be careful not to drop anything in there. before u do all of this u should have a spare iac gasket from subaru just in case($6). they tend to not want to fit back in their spot. put it back together and start it up. run it at 2000rpm for a couple minutes. if the cel turns on shut the car off(u may have blown the gasket). if not, take it for a 10 min spin and take it easy on her. even if this does not fix the problem u will be able to tell that the car needed a clean iac. do a lil more research on the iac just so u know what im talking about. all of you should do it if your car has high miles. the car runs so much smoother after. good luck
#13 Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
i know what an iac sensor is..im in an automotive tech program..im in my last semsester...ive had three of the insructors look at it and 2 mechanics...none of us can figure it out...and if the sensor is on the right of the throttle body then its the Tps..throttle position sensor,that is pretty much connected to the throttle plate..after i reset my ecu it doesnt do it anymore ive gotten about 130 miles on it and at about 36 miles it just dies sometimes.....and when i was slowing down the other day and turned really hard it tried to die...went down to about 300rpms then it jumped back to about 2200rpms....
#14 Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have you tried Seafoam in the brake booster yet ? MIGHT help. Who knows.

Are you still on the same tank of gas as well ? Might have gotten $hitty go-go juice.

Last edited by pzr2874; 03-18-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: adding
#15 Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

dubrex2002 is an unknown
nah........i drained it out put water remover and octane booster in the next tank of gas....and thought it might be that one of my injectors were going out or clogged a little so i put a little tranny fluid in it..nothing.........