Subaru WRX Forum banner

3inch turboback no EM causing problems?

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  eighth08 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 3" catless turboback. never any issues besides a CEL.

ok yesturday i was coming back from the lake and you have to take this AMAZING road (video of it soon enough) well there is this turn that is literally 90 degrees but it is kinda rounded to it isnt a corner you run into, i was with some friends trying to look cool with my cool car and i gunned it hard through the apex hitting about 55mph and all of a sudden my rpms go all the way down to like 500rpm's and my whole car comes to a slow down and starts to regain speed again... i am totally guessing it was tuning issues as i know having the aftermarket exhaust with no EM can have some negetive affects, but i am curious if anyone else ran into this before.

and also i dont have a working rpm gauge cause i tried to get cute and sand the plate with the needles on and broke the rpm needle or popped it out, so i really have no idea if i was hitting my rev limiter, it seemed to be that similar outcome of hitting the rev limiter but then again i know my car and even with my rpm gauge i dont look at it cause i know where the rpm's are for the most part just by sound and feel.. so i doubt it was that but i am not ruling that out.. but lets assume it wasnt the rev limiter... what else could that have been? i think EM.

and i probably answered my own question, but i just kinda want some more people backing me up on this before i run to get an accessport with money i probably shouldnt spend right now..

See less See more
#2 ·
Yo dog. You don't have alot of luck these days do ya.... I feel you.... Me personally i have never heard that before. Did it feel the same as when you hit the limiter or is it different?
I'm gonna talk to some of my peeps that are subie experts... I'll get back to you.

#3 ·
it felt like the limiter kicked in really but i know i wasnt that high in the rpms.. i mean the rpms were up there but probably like high 5k's to low low 6k's...

i really think it is EM cause i know our ecu's act funny when they get confused. this would be the first time its happened since my turboback.

#4 ·
Never experienced it myself, but I've read about it before...

Fuel Cut
Its fuel starvation at the fuel pump pick up. Subaru found this problem and on the v7 Type RA Spec C they included a baffle on the fuel pump pickup. Bad design. Happens mostly on hard left handed turns due to the positioning/design of the fuel pump inside the tank. Possible solutions I've read about:

1) Upgrade to a Walbro 255 fuel pump.
2) Upgrade to a Version7 Type RA Spec C STi fuel pump
3) LOL, that was one long name for an STi
4) Swirl Pot (dunno what this is, just heard about it)
5) Reservoir tank. An extra gas tank basically.
6) And last but not least, Get a new fuel filter.

Good luck... there are a lot of people on NASIOC who have run into this problem. Try searching there.

#5 ·
genkidama20 said:
Never experienced it myself, but I've read about it before...

Fuel Cut
Its fuel starvation at the fuel pump pick up. Subaru found this problem and on the v7 Type RA Spec C they included a baffle on the fuel pump pickup. Bad design. Happens mostly on hard left handed turns due to the positioning/design of the fuel pump inside the tank. Possible solutions I've read about:

1) Upgrade to a Walbro 255 fuel pump.
2) Upgrade to a Version7 Type RA Spec C STi fuel pump
3) LOL, that was one long name for an STi
4) Swirl Pot (dunno what this is, just heard about it)
5) Reservoir tank. An extra gas tank basically.
6) And last but not least, Get a new fuel filter.

Good luck... there are a lot of people on NASIOC who have run into this problem. Try searching there.

but would one cylinder cause it to really drop that hard in power? i understand the third cylinder is kinda lacking with fuel supply. i was thinking eventually i will need a new fuelpump, and i was thinking walbro 255.. and i am still thinking about the perrin fuelrail which delivers proper fuel to all 4 cylinders.

but i still think it had something to do with tuning.. but physical fuel delivery wouldnt suprise me either.

#11 ·
do you mean fuel cut from like a rev limiter, or fuel cut from like pushing it too hard. cause i know i wasnt that high in rpms. they sounded high but the motor did not sound like it was redlining by any means. and i know my engine pretty well. but then again i have no 100% opinion on that cause i do not have a working tach... time to get me an STi gauge cluster... cause there is no way i am getting my wrx cluster fixed.. might as well save up and just get the sti one.. mainly cause i like how it looks with the pretty colors...

but anyways i am gonna push my car around and see.. cause this is the first time my car has done this since the downpipe install.. so thats why i questioned it, cause i have pushed my car hard with the downpipe and its never gave me any problems.

either way i wanna tune my car with a stage 2 map with the accessport... to make sure, and cause it would be some nice added power and i would feel secure about the downpipe being put to it's full potential.

i hope i did hit fuel cut though, and that it is nothing serious.

#12 ·
When you hit the rev limited the engine suddenly stops reving for about a few seconds no matter how you hit the gas and then kicks back on. Maybe you were to worried about the turn and didn't notice the RPMs or the sound of the engine that much. That would be the easiest thing to diagnose.

#13 ·
If anyone is curious, a reservoir tank is usually a small cylinder acting as a buffer. It is NOT recommended for street cars since it is difficult to place it in a safe location that will be effective. I read about this when I started to get into autoxing.

#14 ·
WRXtreme said:
When you hit the rev limited the engine suddenly stops reving for about a few seconds no matter how you hit the gas and then kicks back on. Maybe you were to worried about the turn and didn't notice the RPMs or the sound of the engine that much. That would be the easiest thing to diagnose.

yeah i got that part, i just am 99.9% sure that it wasnt very high in rpm's... the motor did not sound like it was screaming.. it was loud but seriously not redline loud, thats what concerns me. oh well i will just assume it was the rev limiter until it happens again.

#16 ·
Experienced the same thing today. Fuel light was on going around a right hand turn in 4th. Car cut out and I thought great. Engine kicked back in out of turn and I headed right for the gas station. Refueled and headed back to corner again to see if low gas was the problem. Went back into corner and had no problem what so ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.