Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 WRX CVT Weird acceleration behavior.

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dragon 
#1 ·
I'm a new WRX owner, CVT model. 7500 miles on the clock and this happened today for the first time and strange behavior from the car, I'll do my best to describe it:

While in "D" mode S# setting, if I accelerate from dead stop and maybe hesitate a little or back off a bit and get back on it -- I'll sometimes get this weird as hell bucking, or "confusion" from the car as I've come to call it. Like it can't decide what it wants to do and feels like its engine braking hard-ish for a split second, maybe two or three times real quick then gets back to business.

But here's the thing, all this happened today. On my way back from work, I came to a stop at a red; while "AC ON" S# mode. The engine literally didn't want to accelerate or It felt like I am driving a car without turbo or something is holding the engine back. VERY noticeable.
Really don't know what to think of all this. I am using premium fuel from day one.

#2 ·
Subaru WRX 2016

Hi there
I own a WRX CVT 2016 in Dubai, UAE. If you are talking about a problem like, while accelerating from zero you get sudden shift from 2k to 4 or 5k rpm, and like something is holding the car. But that does not happen always. Sometimes the car behaves perfect. So I have the same problem too :( I guess that is normal. I though that is because of the weather in Dubai as it is 45C now :D

#3 ·
Hi there
I own a WRX CVT 2016 in Dubai, UAE. If you are talking about a problem like, while accelerating from zero you get sudden shift from 2k to 4 or 5k rpm, and like something is holding the car. But that does not happen always. Sometimes the car behaves perfect. So I have the same problem too :( I guess that is normal. I though that is because of the weather in Dubai as it is 45C now :D

Thank you for the reply.
I also think that the wether had something to do with the engine acting up.
Spoke to one of my friends he's a Toyota tech.
Long story short, he said to disconnect the negative of the battery to see the ECM will reset itself, and that did the trick. Took the car out and it feels way better. The response is sharp and for now everything looks and feels good. Don't no why it creeped into that mode to begin with.

#4 ·
Its odd that your ECU got confused by the weather. Have you dont any mods on the car, Intake? Exhaust? anything at all without a tune? The ECU can tune out alot of odd things that are caused by un tuned mods but it only has so much play in either direction.

Keep an eye on it over the next few hundred miles and post if it comes back.

#6 ·
Thank you Richard.

Dennis

Its odd that your ECU got confused by the weather. Have you dont any mods on the car, Intake? Exhaust? anything at all without a tune? The ECU can tune out alot of odd things that are caused by un tuned mods but it only has so much play in either direction.

Keep an eye on it over the next few hundred miles and post if it comes back.
I have no mods on the car. I also have purchased 100K extended warranty for the vehicle, mainly for the CVT transmission.

But need to say that this car is extremely sensitive to the outside temperature and I have kept a. Detail log from last summer to winter.
So I head out to work very early in the morning at 2:30 AM and the freeway is supper light, and driving 15 miles to work. If the out side temperature is 48 degrees,and my average speed is 67 mph in "D" and (I) setting I will get roughly 29.6 MPG. If the wether is at 60 degrees and slightly above, for the same distance and same speed I am getting 37.6 MPG.
Is it possible that the MAF sensor is supersensitive? That is throwing off everything?

The day that the engine was acting up, the out side temp was at 108 degrees.

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.