Subaru WRX Forum banner

2014 WRX doesn't run smoothly at WOT

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2014 WRX and I've gotten on it twice. The first time was getting on the interstate entrance ramp and it kid of fell on its face going from 2nd to 3rd. Then, the other day, we were driving home late and I got on it from a stop sign. I didn't launch it hard, but floored it. It pulled great, but when I shifted from 1st to 2nd, it backfired. It sounded like someone punched the bottom of the hood, I got lights showing the TCS lighting up and it just seemed wrong. I shifted at the beginning of the red, it's not like I was pushing it to 8000. I've heard that these cars need to be babied to the first 1000 miles. Is this a possible cause, or should I take it back to the dealer and have them look at it? I've never bought a brand new car and the dealer is about a 2 hour drive, so I'm putting it off because the thing runs perfect other than the lat two times I've punched it.

#4 ·
Here's my 2 cents on the whole break-in argument:

A few years ago i took a tour of the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN. At the end of the production line there were rollers set up like a dyno that every new car ran on before leaving the production floor. Each car was beat on hard- they went through every gear, full throttle- stopping under hard braking and then stomping on the throttle again and again. If that doesn't break a new car in i don't know what would.

Granted- these were all non-turbo models because those are made in Japan, but these cars are engineered to be driven with enthusiasm so why wouldn't they have all the internal parts primed and ready to rage out of the factory?

I would have it checked out if i were you.

Also: I just picked up a new STi earlier this month and i was hitting the shift light when i test drove it with the salesman with me. He just smiled and complemented me on my driving.

#6 ·
They aren't fully broken in yet though. 80% of break in happens the very 1st time you start up the car and drive it a few miles. However the car continues breaking in beyond that and still needs to be treated properly. Even Subaru stays so.

http://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/...engine_break-in_1600-thumb-717x477-120362.jpg

Why wouldn't a car be fully broken in from the factory? Who wants to buy a new car with 1,000 miles already on it? Other parts need to be broken in aside from just the engine and brake pads. Struts, bushings, your exhaust, and many many misc seals. Even the clutch is not fully broken in at the time of delivery to the dealer (300-400 miles).

Also, a) salesmen are idiots and b) they don't care how long an engine lasts if it's not treated properly, all they care about is seeing that car leave the dealership.

#5 ·
@Mattyeilding,

It may not be a break in issue but it sounds more like a learned timing issue, the ECU on the 14 wrx will take about 150 miles to settle in. It needs to learn how much it can advance the timine and how much knock protection is needed. If it backfired the ECU may have retarded the timing to try to protect itself, that would make it seem sluggish and "wrong". If it were me I would have it checked out anyway but i would finish the break in first.

My break in - 1,000 miles no cruise control, Downshift where possible and engine brake where possible all to get high pressure and high vacuum in the cylinders. change oil at 250 miles and install magnetic tip drain plug to catch any additional metal bits.

Thats just my process but its worked great for me : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.