2010 WRX 19k miles oil leak, WTF?!?!? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
2010 WRX 19k miles oil leak, WTF?!?!?

Just noticed my '10 WRX with only 19k miles is leaking. I've found oil on the top of the block so I know its not a simple plug or filter leak. All I have done to my vehicle is a CBE and stage 1 Cobb tune with intake. I'm seeing online that there are a few people with oil leak problems on new WRX's. Info anyone?!?!?!!?? (going to stealership tomorrow morning)

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Top of the block ? Where ? Near the PCV valve possibly?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Hope your dip stick isn't low. This is just another reason to check your oil regularly. You might just find a problem before its too late.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Yeah, I was trying to think of where that assembly might come lose on the 10's. The only place I can think to look is right there where it goes into the turbo inlet, most those other hoses are pretty tight. Unless it pulled right off the insert that goes into the intake at the back of the motor and then you would have a major vacuum leak. I can't think of anything else that would cause oil to accumulate on top of the motor, unless the stock intercooler is cracked open or something. The stock pcv setup allows the turbo to suck quite a bit of oil up during boost.
#5 Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Word from Subaru. So, apparently when I took my car to Firestone auto care for an oil change they put way too much oil in. Subaru told me this is "very bad", but I cant remember where they said oil was leaking due to it having too much oil. Either way Firestone said they will pay the bill for the diognostic and additional oil change. Question though, is something going to break a few months/weeks from now due to too much oil being put in??

#6 Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Too much oil and it ended up in a puddle on your motor? Something isn't jiving in my mind. Not sure where this oil came from, generally too much oil will cause excessive smoking from the internals touching the oil or possibly even rough running, but if it caused so much pressure you ended up with oil on your motor, it doesn't sound like it's something that is going to go away with an oil change. Typically if you catch an overfill pretty soon and didn't romp on it too much it isn't something to worry about, but I just can't make the puddle of oil make sense. I guess it's possible the oil return on the turbo was backing up and maybe leaking a bit, I just can't see the connection between a puddle and too much oil. Lol unless it had so much it was coming out of the dipstick or oil fill?
#7 Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
I drove for about 350 miles with too much oil.....how bad is this? I did once notice white smoke on start up but that was it. Otherwise its been driving fine and no issues.

#8 Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I wouldn't worry too much about it at the time being. I would check the oil intermittently and watch for more oil accumulation. Still not sure where the puddle would have come from, unless it backed out of the oil return on the turbo, (those clamps are giant pieces of crap). Unless it blew a gasket, your probably fine.
#9 Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Could've just been that firestone spilled oil on top of the motor and it sat in a area where it couldn't not spill off the side of the engine? Just trying to thinking of some other possible scenarios.

Kirt
#10 Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
So subaru's findings:
"Found engine oil overfilled approx 1.5qts. Oil is blowing by pistons and being forced up into intake and out of intake seals"......."Not a matter for warranty"

FML!!!

Well Firestone has admitted guilt, payed the Subaru bill and has documented everything and told me if there is an engine issue related to this problem and Subaru warranty doesnt cover it, that they will take care of it.....guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing was internally damaged

#11 Old 11-29-2011, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
*scratches head* How the hell do you over fill the oil. I should state in the manual they use how much oil to add.....Hope things are in working order. Surprised it didn't blow out around the cam seals...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Holy h3ll. How do you overfill it that much?

Kirt
#13 Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Hey Kirt, at least it had oil in it.... lol

I kid I kid

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#14 Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sounds funny, but jiffy lube forgot to fill the oil in one of the work vehicles for where I work. I think it took about 5 miles until the engine seized up on the side of the road. So, it could be worse I guess. Paul, I bought a damn tq wrench now. There is no more second guessing with this engine.

Kirt
#15 Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
^Hey Kirt, at least it had oil in it.... lol

I kid I kid
OUCH!!!!!!Laugh!

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...