2009 WRX Help Needed from Veterans - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

gart is an unknown
Question 2009 WRX Help Needed from Veterans

Hi all,
I have a couple of mechanical questions and I think this is the best place to find people knowledgeable about the ins and outs of WRXs
I'm just about to buy a 2009 WRX.
It had its timing belt done at 30k miles and was wondering if that's unusual (or maybe a sign of some bigger troubles) and if I should replace the timing belt now at 100k when I do buy it.

Some further info is it failed the emissions test then passed the next day, not sure if that's unusual too or signs of something else.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Yes, a timing belt replaced at 30k is unusual. Did they not give you an explanation why? For safety sake I would still replace it at the recommended service interval. Better safe than sorry. As for the emissions, I don't know anything about that cause we don't have it here and don't want it!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Emissions could be a lot of things, he may have had a cel for an 02 sensor or any number of things and just fixed it to pass.

The timing belt is pretty strange though. They usually aren't due till around 100k miles.
#4 Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by gart View Post
Hi all,
I have a couple of mechanical questions and I think this is the best place to find people knowledgeable about the ins and outs of WRXs
I'm just about to buy a 2009 WRX.
It had its timing belt done at 30k miles and was wondering if that's unusual (or maybe a sign of some bigger troubles) and if I should replace the timing belt now at 100k when I do buy it.

Some further info is it failed the emissions test then passed the next day, not sure if that's unusual too or signs of something else.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
The emissions is usually a sign that the previous owner modded his/her vehicle and in many cases the ref will either call them on it or in states where just the sniffer is used highflow cats or cat-less setups will fail the sniffer. Then people are forced to re-install their OEM equiptment for just the SMOG and test again. that or it may have been on a CEL that was resolved and re-tested.

The timing belt is a little odd but depending on the previous its not necessarily a red flag. I would swap it out for the 100k interval anyways but definitly ask why it was swapped so early. Could be an upgraded water pump or an over zealous mechanic looking for a quick buck.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch