2008 vf52 WRX.... this is a big problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
2008 vf52 WRX.... this is a big problem

All of a sudden on a long drive, car decides to lag and not hit boost till half way thru first and second gear as if its being held back, but not every time tho sometimes it runs perfectly fine.

Hour later in the drive notice a exhaust sounding leak, the boosting problem still isnt major its just confusing and the car is driving fine.

All of a sudden later on leak sounds loud randomly boost gets all screwed up and barely goes to 10psi, engine sounds like its knocking, car sounds like and feels like air is not flowing correctly like an exhaust leak and timing error happen. It drives almost like its in limp mode and has lost all power and sounds like a drag car that blew something and is really raspy and lost all its balls.

Its like 100 degrees out so it way to hot to inspect under the car, everything above the engine bay looks ok and the only code to read is "cam timing error" and it smoked a bit after the last time it stalled out. Someone said the valve blew. I dont know what it is, but im tired of this car's problems. I cant afford anymore fixes and now im afraid i wont even be able to sell it without being completely screwed on finances, because i cant afford a new engine or anything now. =/

Whatever advice or suggestions anyone has to the problem or w/e is appreciated. THank you.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
sounds like your timing belt may have skipped a couple of teeth, you will want to pull the covers and make sure all of the marks still line up properly

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmmm the only code your getting is cam timing error???? White smoke means lean condition so i'd advise against driving the car until you make sure it's not the timing belt. Not sure what other problems you've had though that might cause this...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
He had the stock turbo fail. Which is why he has a VF52 now. Damn Chris, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems again.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
He had the stock turbo fail. Which is why he has a VF52 now. Damn Chris, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems again.
Did he find out what caused it to fail? I know that was the year they changed the compressor housing and also did some changes to the turbine. I'm really sorry to hear you've had a stroke of bad luck with this car man, I really am.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can have a look at his turbo problem here: 08 WRX not running right, stalling, no boost.

Kirt
#7 Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
You can have a look at his turbo problem here: 08 WRX not running right, stalling, no boost.
:eek: Broken turbine shaft. OUCH!!!
Did you remove the screen in the oil supply line? Can't remember if Subaru finally did that or not.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, they fixed it back on the 2007 models

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I agree with Matt. Check the timing belt first. it just seems a good logical place to start with that code. And timing problems cause all kinds of things to not be right. I was putting a new ac compressor on my car last weekend and i was right there so i pulled part of the cover expecting to see an old worn belt but was extremely happy to see it was brand new. Apparently the previous owner did it just before i bought it. WHEW!! Anyways let us know what you find. Good luck man. Sorry bout your luck.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#10 Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Alrighty, Thanks everyone!

#11 Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Are these green lines supposed to match up????
Attached Images

#12 Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes they are

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

BINGO was his name-o Hope that fixes it for you

Kirt
#14 Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lined it all back up right, got the belts and everything where it needs to be.....Engine sounds aweful. I believer I may have blow a rod or valve or something....Either way. This sucks. But hey, not much can go wrong now besides maybe the car catching fire from something..lolz thats about all that is left on things to go wrong. =P Thanks to everyone on here that has been helpful with all my projects and struggles. Hopefully have some news soon.

#15 Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Most likely bent valves, which would need new valves (obviously), and likely a piston or two.

-Chris