Subaru WRX Forum banner

2005 Wrx Check Engine Light

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Ruso 
#1 ·
About a week ago, I bought a used 2005 Wrx, from NJ. it has passed inspections evertime and I had it delivered to Michigan. After about 3 days the Check Engine light came on. I had the codes scanned and it read that the bank 1 Catalytic Convert was bad. Then after 2 days it went out. Now it's back on, both times its come on it has been raining and its come on after a Semi tossed water on my car. Any help?

#2 ·
There are a few ways you can go about this. Obviosuly it sounds like the Cat is performing below threshold. It depends on if you want to keep your car stock or modify in the future

First, check the rest of your setup. If your cats are clogged you want to make sure it's not because your car is not running properly further upstream.

Also sometimes, getting the system really hot through higher rpm, higher load driving for periods of time can burn off all the crap that could be clogging up your cat. Try that a few times and resetting your ECU (by disconnecting the battery and holding brake pedal to drain residual power) to see if the code comes back. You could try banging on the cat(s) with a wooden board to break up some stuff before you start pounding on her.

1). Replace the factory downpipe (or uppipe, you have a cat in both, and I'm not sure which one bank 1 refers to, hopefully someone else will chime in)

2). Get a tuning interface such as COBB Access Port or Taxtrix Cable (for opensource) and delete the code ignoring it. This is obviously not a good option if your cats are clogged or if something else is going on.

3). There's a part available to slightly relocate the oxygen sensor in your exhaust to trick the computer into thinking that your cat is performing well (this is used to delete the code when installing a catless downpipe.

4). Get an aftermarket downpipe (you will need to get a tuning interface and the ability to load a new map. With a new downpipe you will be able to jump to stage 2 right away and get a very decent horsepower gain).

It all depends on your future goals for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.