2005 Whine - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

dallas is an unknown
2005 Whine

I am pretty inexperienced with Turbos,but own a 2005 WRX wagon. It has about 77k on it. I was noticed a whine when accelerating and started reading the many posts about such noises and their solutions on this forum.
The whine seemed noticeable after an oil change. I had the air conditioner idler pulley replaced as it seemed to be the culprit. Things quieted down as the pulley must hast been wearing out,but now either I am more sensitive to noise in general or there still seems to be a whine I dont recall hearing this whine earlier in the cars history . I made a rather poor recording of it,but I am hoping some of the experts here will be able to recognize anything. It sounds very similar to another recording about whine in a turbo,somewhere on this forum as I recall. That turbo soon failed or was rebuilt.
The car runs fine. I was hoping to find out more before it progressed.Thanks!
Here is a link
YouTube - supercalibrations's Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
That doesn't sound like the turbo to me, as it's doesn't appear to be relevant to the boost, and sounds linear to the RPM instead. I would check all pulleys, particularly power steering, AC, and the alternator.

#3 Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

dallas is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
That doesn't sound like the turbo to me, as it's doesn't appear to be relevant to the boost, and sounds linear to the RPM instead. I would check all pulleys, particularly power steering, AC, and the alternator.
Thanks! I am embarrassed to say I havent changed the timing belt as yet. Can it make a whining sound?
#4 Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It won't need it yet (100K).

But maybe.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Thanks! I am embarrassed to say I havent changed the timing belt as yet. Can it make a whining sound?
a tensioner pulley can make that sound...just had one replaced this past January (it was not the timing belt one)...after bringing the noise to the attention of my tuner (because I thought it was something much more serious) he put the automotive stethoscope to a couple points at the front of the engine and within 2 minutes correctly diagnosed the tensioner pulley (for the accessory belt I think).

I will say that I don't remember my noise being as prominent as yours sounds when inside the car (assuming all your windows, etc are closed), but it seems similar. FYI, I'm at just over 110k miles.

I hope your noise does not end up being a costly fix.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#6 Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
There are only 2 belts you would be looking at, and the alternator is the tensioner for one of them. It takes all of an hour to replace the belts, and while you have the belts off you can check every rotating piece to find out which one is the offender. I doubt the timing belt would sound like that, because it's so loud and I think it would sound more muffled if it were the timing belt. I can't be certain of that, but I would definitely focus on the what rotates under the 2 belts up front first.

Side note: I'm also a little confused about the anamorphic widescreen video you have on your channel too. Are you talking about using the different recording of them? Or just adjusting the aspect ratio of the TV? I was an audio/video nerd for a while, but never learned about the different original recording aspects. Totally off topic, I digress.