2004 sti overheating - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
2004 sti overheating

today i finally got around to swapping my radiator into my car. after that the system was running good drove about 30 miles than on my way home on the park way it over heated. the temp almost rose all the way so i let it cool down. i checked the fluid tank and it was bone dry. so i topped it off all the way. made it home and it is OK. so i checked the tank again at home and their was the same amount of coolant in it as to when i filled it. also i was running the heater on high for the whole time and lost heat before i stopped. for the rest of the drive home it was blowing cold. what do you guys think it was. because it was a leak than why is their the same amount of coolant in the tank. or is it the thermostat.
any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
How to bleed air out of radiator? - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

Im guessing you didn't bleed the system like in the link provided?

You have to let the air out and the coolant cycle through to ensure proper level.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
that could be a possibility, but if that is the case than why would the coolant be everywhere under the hood
#4 Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
because you would have a air bubble somewhere in your cooling system causing the coolant not to circulate properly

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
as in if their was air in the system than how does that cause the coolent to leak out all over the place
#6 Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It could also mean that you have a leak somewhere. Try cleaning everything up and let it warm up to full operating temperature and see if you could see any leaks. If you don't, drive maybe one block or so stop and open up the hood to see if you have a leak. Check to make sure all the hoses and lines are connected properly.

#7 Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
false alarm the radiator fan ate through a hose, thanks for the help
#8 Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Glad you got it figured out.

#9 Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That sucks but at least you found the problem.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 06-23-2009, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
yes it does suck but its better than dealing with the thermostat, which i though it was
#11 Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
It is very good you found the problem!!!

I had the worst experience with overheating in my 91 240sx. I was new to cars at this time. Car started overheating -> I replaced the thermostat, didn't work so I replaced it again because I have heard of them coming bad from the manufacturer. When that didn't work I just started throwing parts at it (water pump, radiator) because then I was too stuborn to take the car in to the shop. Finally took it in, they replaced the thermostat (despite the fact I told them I had done that twice) and told me it was good. Car overheats again, take to another shop, they claim they fix it... Overheats again. So one day I rev it hard in the driveway and see white smoke out the back. Burning coolant, why could the shops not find this? We just swapped the motor because a local J/Y had a KA24DE for 500 bucks with proven good compression. Sorry it's kind of off topic, but it was madness...