2003 Subaru WRX
85,XXX Miles

Mods:
COBB Access Port V2 with the 93 Octane Stage 2 map
Turbo-Back Exhaust no cats
Turbo XS BOV
Others that wouldn't create my problem.
Stock Turbo, IC and catted Up-Pipe

The other day on my way to work and hit a patch of black ice. My car revved to red line and after I caught traction my car hasn't driven the same.

My car now sounds different than it did before. The exhaust note sounds like its now more muffled, almost like a car sounds when its misfiring. My car is now lacking power throughout the power band. My car also makes a noticeable ticking noise upon cold start, didn't do that before. One last symptom that I have now noticed is that at random, upon deceleration, my cars RPMs will randomly spike up to about 1000RPMs and then drop back down again.

I don't think it could be misfiring because through experience I know that the car would have much less power. The power loss here is only just noticeable.

I do think it could either be that something happened to my timing belt tensioner or the timing belt itself has stretched.

I have also noticed a vacuum leak sound coming from around my BOV. I am thinking about putting a stock BPV back on to see if it takes care of anything when I can find another one, but I cant find the source of this sound.

If anyone can please offer me any information I would greatly appreciate your time and your help. I'm getting pretty depressed, I just want my old car back and to catch this before it turns into a bigger problem. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm in no position to make any guesses as to what the problem might be, but I'd be curious to see if it has anything to do with the aftermarket BOV not getting along well with Cobb's OTS map (assuming that's what you're using).

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
why would you run a tune with more boost on catted upipe? get catless and done
#4 Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
did you have cruise control on? shitty deal dude. and i don't know why you have to comment on his uppipe that isn't what he asked about. but maybe just try running on a stock map and see if you can still hear the bov leaking at lower psi. or just reflashing your ecu in general couldn't hurt either..
#5 Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, thanks for pointing that one out. I always forget about that on the 05 and previous models - catless up pipes are safety mods for them.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well you revved to redline for how long... If you had the cat in there maybe some came loose and hurt the turbo fins.....

That would be a pretty significant thing though and would cause a lot of power loss.

You may have just pushed a bit too much boost and cracked the seal on an end tank on the intercooler which can cause the sound by the BPV and slight power loss (they don't like much more boost than stock).

-Chris
#7 Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

silverwrx91 is an unknown
Yeah, iv Read everyones comments on this and im leaning towards checking what is up with your BOV.
And im running almost exactly what you are on my 03, and iv had to reflash my ECU a couple times.
#8 Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1 on switching the BOV back to stock. You may have popped the gasket when it over revved.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback