Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 WRX Won't Start

13K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Brockton 
#1 ·
Working on a friends car, new to Subaru. She popped the timing belt, decided to do a JDM motor replacment , 2001 2.0l EJ20. Used intake from car. all sensors from original car. All kinds of mods, lightened flywheel APC pop off, Front OXY delete (resistor),Perin etc.. Motor will not run, occasional backfire, I have tried the key on/off three times. Traced all wiring to verify no pinched wires. Tried to start without MAF hooked up. Have fuel, spark, air, compression. Any ideas, I am leaning towards ECM failure. One ground wire broke that bolts to firewall, unknown where it is supposed to connect.
Thanks,
Rickie in KY

#5 ·
Oh come on now what's the worst that can happen?

zmanky said:
Working on a friends car, new to Subaru. She popped the timing belt, decided to do a JDM motor replacment , 2001 2.0l EJ20. Used intake from car. all sensors from original car. All kinds of mods, lightened flywheel APC pop off, Front OXY delete (resistor),Perin etc.. Motor will not run, occasional backfire, I have tried the key on/off three times. Traced all wiring to verify no pinched wires. Tried to start without MAF hooked up. Have fuel, spark, air, compression. Any ideas, I am leaning towards ECM failure. One ground wire broke that bolts to firewall, unknown where it is supposed to connect.
Thanks,
Rickie in KY
Okay first things first. Do away with the front O2 delete, that is a bad idea and can cause a very rich state and also other sorts of issues. APC pop off go back to stock. I'm leaning toward other issues besides the ECU...Try and put the car as close to stock as possible and it will be easier to diagnose what is wrong with it.
Secondly, What year is her car to begin with? I might have the backwards...WTF

Reactions: mosc
#6 ·
car is an 2002, can't go back, it is the way it is. Car was running fine before timing popped. the car is basically the same, I just changed the block. I am thinking it is something simple, I just do not know where to look at this point. Think newbe mistake. I have been wrenching for years, foreign and domestic, just can't figure this one out.

#11 ·
I have used the original sensors, question, do all 2.0l motors use the same crank and cam pulleys? The motor I installed, had a single coil pack with wires, my2002 motor has individual coils. Could the pulleys be different? Timing has not been changed, but I will inspect it.

#13 ·
Psinuse,
please be more specific, i reused the old wiring from the car, the jdm2.0 motor had all the same sensors in the same places. Are you saying timing is wrong because of a specific pulley? Are you saying that the single vs individual coil packs is the problem? More info please

#16 ·
Thanks Guys!! I took Pauls advise and looked on NASIOC . All kinds of ifo on the swap, turns out I had to swap the crank timing gear, and the upper right gear (drivers side). Car started first time after! Now to fix the DTC1507 code. I broke an elbow on the intake tube, and figure that is probably throwing the code. I have had the intake off several times. Thanks Psinuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.