2002 WRX Wagon Random Misfire issue! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm going to take a stab at saying it's the flywheel. Have you tried resetting the ECU and see what happens?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I'm going to take a stab at saying it's the flywheel. Have you tried resetting the ECU and see what happens?
I have reset the ecu by code reader and by removing the negative battery terminal and it still comes back.
#18 Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
When was the last time you put gas in it?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
Just a couple of days ago. I know its not bad gas because I have gone to many different gas stations.
#20 Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
As mentioned in my first post the original owner had the lightweight flywheel installed for about 20k with no issues. After changing the coil packs out and plugs to one step colder the misfire came back even quicker (P0302 and P0303). I am going to reset the code and try re-gapping the plugs to .026 and see if that makes any difference. If that does not work I will swap out the one step colder plugs for new OEM and see what happens. Would it help if I took a video of the car at idle? I think the car has a slight misfire while idling but some people tell me its just the nature of the engine. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
#21 Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Wagonracer would be the guy to ask about this. He has said previously about the valve lash needing reset after a certain point. But, I can't remember off the top of my head what the approx mileage was.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#22 Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Haven't been on here in a while, but I do know a thing or two about the valve lash adjustment that the dealership is referring to. If your compression numbers were consistent than I'd venture a guess that valve lash is not your problem. That being said, 150 psi is low for a EJ20. Was the engine cold when that was done ?

Cullen
#23 Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well low compression would cause misfires randomly, but 150 isn't that low for a cold test.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
Yeah the engine was cold when that was done and I was told those are great numbers...
#25 Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
dry or wet?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#26 Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
DRY Compression test
#27 Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

kendalja is an unknown
So I replaced the Crank Position Sensor and so far no more misfires. (Fingers crossed)!! When pulling the old one it looked ok but just replaced it anyway. Is there a way to test these? Its a magnet...how can it go bad lol?
#28 Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalja View Post
So I replaced the Crank Position Sensor and so far no more misfires. (Fingers crossed)!! When pulling the old one it looked ok but just replaced it anyway. Is there a way to test these? Its a magnet...how can it go bad lol?
Well the same way an ethernet cable goes bad...just does.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...