Subaru WRX Forum banner

16.5 mpg?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RINGY91 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 with Cobb stage one (just put on last week) and a drop in k&n. I have been driving VERY conservatively and my mpg gauge keeps saying about 16.5 mpg. The car has just 500 miles on it. Is that normal?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
Those mpg gauges aren't the most accurate IMHO, I have a '12 as well, it's stock and I will get around 18-19 with mixed driving on the dash but hand calculations I'll get maybe 1 or 2 better mpgs. Next fill up do a hand calculation and compare. But maybe something is up with the Cobb tune, idk better let someone else that is using one chime in

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#5 ·
It can fluctuate from tank to tank. I get awful mileage if I drive the way I want to. I have to make sure I shift before boost engages, and even then I get around 19-20. In the winter I regularly get 17. 16.5 is not far off of that. The MPG is based off of the trip so it shouldn't matter if you reset it at a stop or rolling, honestly. It's based off of the amount of throttle you're giving the car compared to the speed, calculating load. Anyway, once the car has completed a full learning cycle (typically up to a hundred miles) it should adjust to your driving habits and elevation. With it being that new I wouldn't be surprised if it still had some learning to do. I heard that new ECUs have a preprogrammed distance before they will fully learn. I only heard that though, and never read it anywhere official.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 WRX with a drop in K&N filter as well, but otherwise totally stock.
If I drive conservatively, I have been getting 28.2 mpg with hand calculations, my car computer indicates 1.1 - 1.3 higher.
So it's possible to get better miles per gallon!
However the gas in Hawaii is pretty consistent, no winter additives.
It could be your car is still breaking in with just 500 miles, my first two tanks were 26 and 27 respectively.
The only problem is trying to drive conservatively...I do stomp on it from time to time, but overall I'm a old man driving like an old man!
Good luck with that!

#7 ·
26, 27....28.2 WTF. That's insane! I have seen over 22 once. You must have super gas out there and drive very conservatively. Of course I generally drive my cars like I stole them :cool:

#8 ·
Me too. I had a couple tanks in my WRX that I got 27, but not even close in the STi. I can't help it. I call my car my truck to my wife, because it gets the gas mileage of a truck. She tells me it doesn't have a bed, and I can't tow anything with it, so it's not a truck. I tell her differently... I say it's definitely a truck because it hauls ass.

#10 ·
Do you guys have terrible tunes? No tune at all? Or just drive to not get good MPG? I have gotten 30 (+/-)MPG on several trips with a decently modified car. Hell even in town I can get around 22 MPG and thats even with a hard pull here or there. 16.5 does seem a little awful, but find you a nice up hill mountain climb where you dont come out of 2nd gear, and are lucky to get 9MPG then I would really complain.

#12 ·
I guess I can note that my commute is either traffic flow of 75-80 mph (turbo fully spooled in 6th gear) or really slowly moving traffic. Other than that I'm in the city. On my drive to work earlier than rush hour I get approximately 24. But it almost always equals out through the whole tank and I still get 19-20. The STi doesn't do as well for fuel economy as the WRX though, and that's worth mentioning, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.