Subaru WRX Forum banner

13 Overboost/Fuel Cut

8K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  General-Leo 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 13 WRX with a catted invidia DP, and cobb catback. And am currently running the COBB STG 2 LWG map. after I installed the DP and used the tuner to take it stage 2 the car seemed to run awesome. a few months later I bought a COBB BPV to replace the stock one because I was told the stock one would not be able to hold much more boost if/when I get a pro tune. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I didn't notice any problems directly after installing the new BPV. but some times (its done it 3 times now) if I go WOT in 3rd gear, I over boost... I can't remember the code off the top of my head but when it happened I called the tuning shop I take my car to and told them what happened and they said it sounded like I was hitting fuel cut from overboosting. I took my car in to them and they ran it on their dyno a few times, to see if the engine was performing like it should and they said it looked great. the tuner even said he was trying to get it to overboost at one point and it would not do it. I have been told that a protune would at the very least help my issue. but I was also told that it would not be worth it money wise to get a protune until I have a better intercooler. and I don't really have the money for that right now.

I know this was quite long winded but I have not been able to figure out what the issue is. what do you guys think?

#4 ·
get a pro tune and ebcs. when you drop it off to get tuned tell them you want this issue resolved as well. Then if it happens again, its on their dime. Don't worry about upgrading the intercooler until you upgrade turbos or are pushing your stock one to the limit. yours should be fine with just stage 2 and a pro tune. You will love the pro tune compared to ots maps anyway and its better for your engine. They should also be able to set up your bpv perfect as well. It will be money well spent!

#6 ·
I do have a stock intake, and the BPS is set to 100% recirc.
I would love to get a pro tune but the one shop that does them around here (that I know of) said that because the wrx intercooler housing is made of plastic compared to the STIs metal housing that I would be a good idea to get a new one. Kind of a better safe than sorry kind of deal. and I allready took my car in to them when I first put the BPV on to have them tweek it and they said it was fine.
On another note I talked to them over the weekend and they said that I should try updating my accessport and flash my ecu with the updated maps, if the problem persists after that to call cobb and see what they say.
and in case anyone is curious the shop I am talking about is All Aspects Motorsports, which seems to do solid work from what I can tell.
Anyway thanks for the advice and I will let you guys know the end result of all this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.