120mph+ whine - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
120mph+ whine

tonight i noticed a weird whine, sort of like a mid range whine coming from my car as a i was driving 120mph+...this noise only happened as i drove above 120, and it made the noise multiple times even as i slowed down and sped up again, but only over 115-120. no windows were open, and i havn't made and changed to the car with the exception of getting it a tiny bit muddy today.
my first thought was that it was the tires, i still have the all season potenzas.

Has this happened to anyone else? right now i am stage 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
Why & the hell were you go'n 120? I hope you were on a track. If not ,thats a dick move,& who cares about the whine!?

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
#3 Old 08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
^^^ I agree...doubling the speed limit on the road is not a good idea.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#4 Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
RE92s are not safe over 100mph. Nuf said.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLACK07STI is an unknown
Everyone With A Cars Like Ours Go Fast From Time To Time. I Am A Officer Of The Law And I Still Do It. Any How, The Sti's Make That Same Noise At About 100 On And It's From The Spoiler.
#6 Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The whine his is talking about is probably coming from the front of the car or at least it sounds like it. It's more than likely the tires. My RE92s used to do the same thing on my old wrx. The RE070s are a lot quieter at high speeds, but they have less of a all season tread pattern. I don't tend to keep the car at high speeds for long. But, i like to wind it out every now and then. Just to make sure she responds correctly. After, I'm done....I brake myself down to the limit. Btw, the RE92s made a whining drowning type noise. Sounds like a banshee is coming out of your tires. LOL...but, yeah. They're not safe at high speeds. Not saying the RE070s are any better...just less noise overall at that speed. Though for some reason...at normal highway speeds the 070s are making decent road noise.
#7 Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

i was on a track.........i dont really remember hearing it before so much, could it be as the tires get more worn they make more noise?
#8 Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
What track were you at that has a long enough straight that you can get lightly modded car up to 120 mph, and sustain it long enough to detect a noise ? There's only two in the whole country to my knowledge, and well worth the trip to either. They would be Miller and Road America.

Really, if you want to drive fast, go to the track (with some good tires). It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. If you want to talk about driving 120 on the roads that my family might be on, go somewhere else please.
#9 Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well said wagonracer.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

why is everyone lecturing me when i am asking a question...the 120mph was done on a closed strip of a street that is being used for construction...your family wasn't on this strip at 3:30 in the morning. I et to go there because i work for the company thats doing the construction. its clearly not good to speed excessivly on public roads. DUH!! now please stop being my father and help me answer my question if you can. would the tires make the noise after being worn, because i didnt hear this noise a week before at the same speed.
#11 Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Is this strip of road newly paved or graded? Maybe even cross-cut? It sounds like the tires to me. We just don't know the condition of the surface your driving on. Beyond its some sort of asphalt. I normally stick to secluded areas to toy around....i know it's frowned upon. But, truthfully...if you don't play with the car some. Why did we even buy it? Might as well own a hybrid. Anyways...back to the matter at hand. Any more info would help paulie.
#12 Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Garage
If you think they pour freeways with a compound designed for low noise at 120mph paulie, you're nuts. I mean, you're well out of the range of reasonability.

#13 Old 08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXstyle is an unknown
I know what noise your talking about, my car has made it from time to time going that same speed, i noticed mine was coming from the passenger side mirror...weird
#14 Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Garage
is it the noise coming from the passenger side seat? Does it sound something like a human voice yelling: "Slow the F--- down!"

#15 Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll bet it's either the belts in those tires stressing, or something happening aerodynamically. Where does the sound come from ?

Try a track weekend, seriously, it's way better fun than ripping up public roads, worrying about tickets anyday, and even though sometimes it seems like it couldn't possibly be legal to drive like that.....IT IS !!!