10 Psi!!!??? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 07-23-2004, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
That doesn't make any sense???? If it was chewed up by the turbo, how would it get back ON the air filter?

Don't believe everything they tell you.

One perfect example I have for you occurred recently at my Station. Our Fire Engine has been making this Loud Whine, which has progressively gotten worse. A few of us figured it was the Transmission possibly going bad. 10-8, the people who service our Apparatus came out and said it was the Alternator. Now, it's possible that it's the alternator, I'm not disputing that. However, I found it classic that the way the Tech came to this conclusion was by comparing the bad alternator with the other good alternator. What's so classic about that you ask? Only the fact that our Engine only has ONE alternator! LOL. He was comparing the alternator to the A/C compressor!

Anyway, I hope it isn't your turbo. Talk to Deadbolt on www.nasioc.com and get yourself a Monster Ported Stock Turbo if it is indeed your turbo.

Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
yup on the electric ice pick for computer sensors, sorry for that, I have a logic probe that I use for quick checks, I assumed the "test light" statement would not get me in trouble. Guess I forgot that everyone doesnt have a logic probe in their tool box. I will go beat myself with a 3 foot length of frazzled -6 braided hose. I am a bad boy!!

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
post #18 of 32 Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
yeah...i modded my Logic Probe with a 20' coiled extension so it will reach all around a car....works great for testing fuel pumps....

people generally shit themselves when they see how much i paid for it...
post #19 of 32 Old 07-23-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon
That doesn't make any sense???? If it was chewed up by the turbo, how would it get back ON the air filter?

Don't believe everything they tell you.

One perfect example I have for you occurred recently at my Station. Our Fire Engine has been making this Loud Whine, which has progressively gotten worse. A few of us figured it was the Transmission possibly going bad. 10-8, the people who service our Apparatus came out and said it was the Alternator. Now, it's possible that it's the alternator, I'm not disputing that. However, I found it classic that the way the Tech came to this conclusion was by comparing the bad alternator with the other good alternator. What's so classic about that you ask? Only the fact that our Engine only has ONE alternator! LOL. He was comparing the alternator to the A/C compressor!

Anyway, I hope it isn't your turbo. Talk to Deadbolt on www.nasioc.com and get yourself a Monster Ported Stock Turbo if it is indeed your turbo.

Blue
Well the only thing they see done is Turboback exhaust and the intake silencer removal. In that there is no washers that I took out other than the intake silencer but a damn washer can't pass through the air filter anyways. Is there any possibility the washer could've flown back up onto the filter from the turbo spinning and the washer hitting it? If not I will dispute this. It still might be covered under warranty but they are ripping off downpipe on Monday. If they deny, I will say the Magnuson Moss Warranty act says the dealer has to PROVE that what I did caused the problem.

How much do those ported stock turbos cost? If I give the dealer that to put on, will they notice it? Will I need any other upgrades like fuel. I have a UTEC here...
post #20 of 32 Old 07-23-2004, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
like the super long logic probe! I need to do that, those bastards cost a fortune dont they? I just bought a new one after gracefully slamming mine in a car door and busting the hell out of it! ah well, thus is life! if I did not have to pay the tool guys every week I dont know what I'd do with myself.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
post #21 of 32 Old 07-24-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Metal shavings

Well they are thinking its the turbo based on the fact that the metal tube going from teh intercooler y piece on the back to the compressor of the turbo is filled w/ metal shavings. I put my finger in it and I took it out, and it was like a shiny silver liquid. I am guessing it was oil mixed w/ metal shavings. But that washer didn't look that messed up to give all those shavings.
post #22 of 32 Old 07-24-2004, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Scoob
like the super long logic probe! I need to do that, those bastards cost a fortune dont they? I just bought a new one after gracefully slamming mine in a car door and busting the hell out of it! ah well, thus is life! if I did not have to pay the tool guys every week I dont know what I'd do with myself.

no kidding....i only owe about 7100 on my stuff still. that is over 55k in tools and equip. too....

toolbox bigger then a car owns all.

as for the turbo....well...hope all goes well with it, i really dont see a reason for it to be voided, but ya never know. dont be an ####### customer that thinks they know all about the car, and hold off on the MM act until needed.
post #23 of 32 Old 07-24-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

I know thats what I am doing. The owner of the dealership was treating me very well for being a 16 year old kid. But he said there was subaru reps there today nosing around my car becasue of the exhaust. He said right now its a coin flip as to whether or not this is warranty covered or not.
post #24 of 32 Old 07-24-2004, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
at the mitsubishi dealer I work at, we have no problem with aftermarket parts, or installing them! I got the owner to see the point that people WILL modify their vehicles, and we may as well be a part of the process, make sure things are done right, and keep the customer knowing that we stand behind our vehicles.

post #25 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Here is the outcome...the bolt from the ram air scoop somehow got into the turbo and destroyed the fins and now the IC is destroyed too because its filled w/ metal shavings. I do have the ram air scoop out but it has been 4 months since I took it out and it has been running fine. They denied teh warranty but I am fighting this against SOA. I never had the intake filter cover removed, nor have I ever removed the intake pipe. The only way this bolt could have got to the turbo was for it to come from the intake side. I have an appointment w/ one of the SOA guys sometime later this week. I am going to try to explain to them that the only way that bolt could have gotten to the turbo is through the air filter or if somebody placed it on the other side. I never placed it on the other side so if it went throguh the filter, than I can fight that because that filter is supposed to keep dirt particles out, much less 5 cm long bolts and washers. Well if I do have to pay the 1800 for turbo, ic and labor, I will get my old turbo redone from deadbolt and then sell it NASIOC for a few hundred bucks. Is there any way for me to get the IC fixed for cheap and sell that too?
post #26 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

nope.

my advice is to go to your local drugstore, pick up some KY (not the little tube, the big one) and bring it with you. cause you will need it.

and i have this odd feeling that you wont win against them......they know you have messed with things, and with as common as the resonator removal is, they will say that you dropped it while doing it, and you are at fault.
post #27 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

O well I have to at least try to get it fixed under warranty, its 2000 freaking dollars for a new turbo, ic and labor. What is KY?
post #28 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

KY jelly......
post #29 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Astro Glide works much better.... at least, that's what I hear..... uh, yeah.....
post #30 of 32 Old 07-26-2004, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
For $2000 you could find yourself in a stage 4 car. Or is having stock parts put back in the only option?

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor