1 month after my retune i cant hit boost anymore - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
1 month after my retune i cant hit boost anymore

so after i got my retune my car was kickn and was boostn hard and taken names. well last month i noticed that i wasnt hit boost and that my afr's would go near 11.5 and a bit lower. i noitced that the coupler between my intercooler and throttle body was loose so i tightened it up. i was able to hit boost again and then it wouldnt. now its march and i tried to fix the problem once and for all. i got aluminum tubing and clamped that booch hard on either side. i went to go test it out on a bridge and now its even worse. now my afrs at boost ar a soild 10. cause that the lowest it reads. i have tightend everything and check everywhere for leaks. i cleand my maf, got a new filter. and its still reading flat 10. im just thinking of chucking my top mount and gettn a frount mount. this crap is pissn me off.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
like you can't hit any boost at all?

from what you've described you've probably made a new boost leak somewhere else like the y-pipe to the TMIC and when you removed it did you put a new bpv gasket in?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
#1 on the y-pipe issue

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #4 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
Do you hear any unusual noises? I ran into the loose y pipe gaskets myself.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i think so cause when i pulled it off my intercoolee and the part where the Y bolts up too the intercoolerbwas oily like no other so i bolted those nurs down but now, like i said my afrs are even worse. i asked my tuner and he said that the retune is still on there even after i took the battery off and that i probably have a boost leak somewhere. today im selling my 50/50 bov to a kid with a stock bpv. hopefully that will help a bit as i wait to order my front mount. but yea i cant hit boost at all cause its just being flooded with fuel and the intercooler i want (turboxs) is around 900 so it will be a while before i can get it on my car. i guess ill just have to pull out my old whorish ways to get some money lol

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #6 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Make sure to get a new BPV gasket. Mine was only like $7 at the dealership.

Also, your tuner should be able to do a pressure test. They run about $60 around here.

I would not re-tune until you figure out what the problem is.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #7 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
i guess ill just have to pull out my old whorish ways to get some money lol
Dude, don't quit yur day job.... lol

Do a smog test too

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i have a gasket laying around in my garage. so when i put the stock one back on i wont have problems with that leaking

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #9 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably just a leak that is only evident during boost.

The car runs fine at idle, not lean at all?

When I blew a hidden line off my intake mani, I could still make boost, but not much. My car also idle'd around 19-20:1 AFR. My issue was the line running to the top of the bpv that actuates it popped off the manifold (non-barbed or clamped line that sees boost, c'mon Subaru).

For you not to make any boost at all means you have a big leak somewhere, and to me a leak like that would be a vac leak as well, but if you're running fine at idle then it could just be a boost leak.

-Chris
post #10 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
i think so cause when i pulled it off my intercoolee and the part where the Y bolts up too the intercoolerbwas oily like no other so i bolted those nurs down but now, like i said my afrs are even worse. i asked my tuner and he said that the retune is still on there even after i took the battery off and that i probably have a boost leak somewhere. today im selling my 50/50 bov to a kid with a stock bpv. hopefully that will help a bit as i wait to order my front mount. but yea i cant hit boost at all cause its just being flooded with fuel and the intercooler i want (turboxs) is around 900 so it will be a while before i can get it on my car. i guess ill just have to pull out my old whorish ways to get some money lol
If your going FMIC go with a quality piece like the Perrin, Blitz, AMR or ARC. The TurboXS kit has massive pressure drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
Make sure to get a new BPV gasket. Mine was only like $7 at the dealership.

Also, your tuner should be able to do a pressure test. They run about $60 around here.

I would not re-tune until you figure out what the problem is.
+1

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Keshav: Did you check all the lines to your MBC that I'm assuming you still have on the car with the tune? If one of them came loose...that'd cause a huge problem with your boost.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 21 Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hmm i didnt think about that. ill got check it out in a bit. but today i traded my turboxs 50/50 for a stock one with a new gasket. went from a nice psshhhrrrr to a baby sneez lol. kinda wierd. i also got the 2 gaskets off the old y pipe the guy had on his stock intercooler.

what kinda sux now is that my axel boot is tko(or atleast i think it is) and sounds like im runing over something from 1-2nd gear but after that it goes away. also my axel seal is torn and has been leaking tranny fluid for a bit but its very very small amount. o well.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #13 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

turmic - i checked my mbc and it was fine. no leaks no nothin. its just wierd. my afrs are ok when im driving normally around 15.4 or so then when i try to get on it a bit i drops down to 10 and i can hear it dumping fuel cause my exhaust starts to sputer and i hear it back fireing.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
post #14 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

you've got a major boost leak

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #15 of 21 Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

either DIY or pay someone but pressure test your system

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt