09 WRX Power Surge - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,158
RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah you guys are describing boost.... That's all it is. Turbo hits full spool around 3500 and then torque dies out around 5-5500. The 09's have the bigger turbo so it has more lag than say the 08's so you don't feel the speed until later but it lasts longer into the powerband.

-Chris
RcrsWetDream is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#17 Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3
danrcv is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Yeah you guys are describing boost.... That's all it is. Turbo hits full spool around 3500 and then torque dies out around 5-5500. The 09's have the bigger turbo so it has more lag than say the 08's so you don't feel the speed until later but it lasts longer into the powerband.
Thanks for the feedback RcrsWetDream but I'm not sure that it's "just boost" I have had plenty of experience with other turbo cars and none felt like this. There is definitely a small hesitation around 5,000 rpm then it kicks again a few hundred rpm after and pulls strong to redline (6,500).
danrcv is offline  
#18 Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2
JPGC is an unknown
Yeah, It's much more than just torque drop off. It's night and day when it happens. Has anyone been to the dealership yet with this issue. Thanks!
JPGC is offline  
#19 Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 454
Images: 1
VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGC View Post
Yeah, It's much more than just torque drop off. It's night and day when it happens. Has anyone been to the dealership yet with this issue. Thanks!
This sentence makes no sense. If you got boost cut and torque dropped off the car would feel like "night and day". Do you understand what torque is and how it affects your acceleration? Torque is a measurement of the force that is causing your wheels to rotate. It sounds to me like what you are all describing is some sort of boost cut and a lack of power to the wheels (loss of torque).

I think you all have the same terrible stock tune. If you get a stage one tune you'll probably be good to go. If you go to the dealership and it turns out to be something else please let us know but I doubt it.

Subaru is not likely to release an update for your ECU, the stock tune is not very good on any MY wrx and they haven't fixed it in the past.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
VisiX is offline  
#20 Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
09azwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 51
Images: 2
09azwrx is an unknown
Wheeler do you still have the stock exhaust? Mine did the same with the stock exhaust. I have since put a SPT CBE on, it smoothed out the hard push at 3500. The finish at 5500 i had noticed too.
09azwrx is offline  
#21 Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,368
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
This sentence makes no sense. If you got boost cut and torque dropped off the car would feel like "night and day". Do you understand what torque is and how it affects your acceleration? Torque is a measurement of the force that is causing your wheels to rotate. It sounds to me like what you are all describing is some sort of boost cut and a lack of power to the wheels (loss of torque).

I think you all have the same terrible stock tune. If you get a stage one tune you'll probably be good to go. If you go to the dealership and it turns out to be something else please let us know but I doubt it.

Subaru is not likely to release an update for your ECU, the stock tune is not very good on any MY wrx and they haven't fixed it in the past.
Early 08 STIs were recalled for a ECU reprogram. There is a TSB for that. Otherwise you're correct. They never fixed any other ECU problems to my knowledge.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
#22 Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
blk05WRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 425
Images: 6
blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had the same problem with my 05. The COBB Stage 1 map fixed it. My friend has the identical car without the COBB map and his car still does this even after 55k miles.

It's just the factory tune.

I took it to two different dealerships, and they both told me nothing was wrong.

One last thing. Make sure you're using good gas. (Not Costco or Citgo, stick with Shell) The computer will pull out timing and the car will nose over. I experienced this with one bad tank of Citgo gas.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
blk05WRX is offline  
#23 Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1
2011REX is an unknown
I have a 2011 wrx with about 11k miles on it and i have had some hesitation too. 1st gear is like hell on wheels. 2nd is fine. but usually on the highway with 3rd gear pulls, it kindof jumps back and forth and feels not to stable. its completely stock too. i dont usually drive it like a maniac, just every once in a while.
2011REX is offline  
#24 Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,970
pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What jumps back and forth? The car? The RPM's? Boost?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
pzr2874 is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On