09 WRX Power Surge - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah you guys are describing boost.... That's all it is. Turbo hits full spool around 3500 and then torque dies out around 5-5500. The 09's have the bigger turbo so it has more lag than say the 08's so you don't feel the speed until later but it lasts longer into the powerband.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

danrcv is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Yeah you guys are describing boost.... That's all it is. Turbo hits full spool around 3500 and then torque dies out around 5-5500. The 09's have the bigger turbo so it has more lag than say the 08's so you don't feel the speed until later but it lasts longer into the powerband.
Thanks for the feedback RcrsWetDream but I'm not sure that it's "just boost" I have had plenty of experience with other turbo cars and none felt like this. There is definitely a small hesitation around 5,000 rpm then it kicks again a few hundred rpm after and pulls strong to redline (6,500).
#18 Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

JPGC is an unknown
Yeah, It's much more than just torque drop off. It's night and day when it happens. Has anyone been to the dealership yet with this issue. Thanks!
#19 Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGC View Post
Yeah, It's much more than just torque drop off. It's night and day when it happens. Has anyone been to the dealership yet with this issue. Thanks!
This sentence makes no sense. If you got boost cut and torque dropped off the car would feel like "night and day". Do you understand what torque is and how it affects your acceleration? Torque is a measurement of the force that is causing your wheels to rotate. It sounds to me like what you are all describing is some sort of boost cut and a lack of power to the wheels (loss of torque).

I think you all have the same terrible stock tune. If you get a stage one tune you'll probably be good to go. If you go to the dealership and it turns out to be something else please let us know but I doubt it.

Subaru is not likely to release an update for your ECU, the stock tune is not very good on any MY wrx and they haven't fixed it in the past.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#20 Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

09azwrx is an unknown
Wheeler do you still have the stock exhaust? Mine did the same with the stock exhaust. I have since put a SPT CBE on, it smoothed out the hard push at 3500. The finish at 5500 i had noticed too.
#21 Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
This sentence makes no sense. If you got boost cut and torque dropped off the car would feel like "night and day". Do you understand what torque is and how it affects your acceleration? Torque is a measurement of the force that is causing your wheels to rotate. It sounds to me like what you are all describing is some sort of boost cut and a lack of power to the wheels (loss of torque).

I think you all have the same terrible stock tune. If you get a stage one tune you'll probably be good to go. If you go to the dealership and it turns out to be something else please let us know but I doubt it.

Subaru is not likely to release an update for your ECU, the stock tune is not very good on any MY wrx and they haven't fixed it in the past.
Early 08 STIs were recalled for a ECU reprogram. There is a TSB for that. Otherwise you're correct. They never fixed any other ECU problems to my knowledge.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#22 Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had the same problem with my 05. The COBB Stage 1 map fixed it. My friend has the identical car without the COBB map and his car still does this even after 55k miles.

It's just the factory tune.

I took it to two different dealerships, and they both told me nothing was wrong.

One last thing. Make sure you're using good gas. (Not Costco or Citgo, stick with Shell) The computer will pull out timing and the car will nose over. I experienced this with one bad tank of Citgo gas.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#23 Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

2011REX is an unknown
I have a 2011 wrx with about 11k miles on it and i have had some hesitation too. 1st gear is like hell on wheels. 2nd is fine. but usually on the highway with 3rd gear pulls, it kindof jumps back and forth and feels not to stable. its completely stock too. i dont usually drive it like a maniac, just every once in a while.
#24 Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What jumps back and forth? The car? The RPM's? Boost?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3