09 Stage 2- low RPM almost stall - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
09 Stage 2- low RPM almost stall

Howdy folks-

I did do a search- closest problem was someone with an 08 having a stutter problem above 2k RPM- which is not the issue I am having.

Seems every time I put in the clutch from taking the motor over 3k the rpms drop like a stone and the car almost dies. Before, if I was still in first and putting in the clutch in the parking lot, the rpms would rise to a bit over 2k, but now it won't even do that. This evening the rpms went so low the motor started making a knocking noise before the idle brought it back up to the normal rpm idle range.

Mods:
Cobb catted DP
SPt cat back
Cobb Stage 2 91 ACN OTS map
Chevron 91 Octane fuel

Issue popped up about 2 weeks ago after my 30k servicing. Used to only happen once in a great while- now its every time I put in the clutch. Temps here in Vegas have also been climbing- hitting mid 90s now in the day. I have no CELs, no check engine light, and my intake is completely stock.

I would hook my AP back in and monitor, but every time I do that now my AP says there is a ECU bus communication error and does not allow live monitoring. I can still flash maps, but as soon as the motor is running, I cannot do anything with the AP.

Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated. I fear my only choice is probably getting a pro-tune, which will require me to go open source because no one local can tune AP.

Thanks in advance!

-Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So you don't have an aftermarket drop in filter ? No BPV other than stock ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 05-06-2011, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nope- intake completely stock.

Just replaced the OEM air filter with another from the dealership in fact.

Never touched anything else- I do have a Perrin TMIC, but it has not been installed yet.

The stock IC has been taken off a few times- including by the dealer this last time because I thought I had a small oil leak at the oil sending unit- something noticed by the guy that helped me with my DP. Dealership checked it out and said I was smoking crack- no leaks.
#4 Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Try cleaning your MAF and reset the ECU.

Just read the part about the communication error. Do you have the last firmware update on your AP ? It wouldn't suprise me that the dealer reflashed the car to mess with you.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3

Last edited by pzr2874; 05-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
#5 Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Is your A/C on? My car used to die after my one tune with the A/C on. I took it back to my tuner and there is a option in the AP to make the idle higher with the A/C on. He set that higher and it completely solved my problem.

Edit: That was done with the engine running...I'm pretty sure. I'd try to update your firmware and see if it lets you change that setting.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

This is not with my A/C on- I rarely run that- and usually once the temps reach around 115-120 do I finally start using it.

Looks like it won't be long now before I get to those temps since today was over 100 already.

One other issue I have been told about- but not sure if it matters- twice now an oil change place has checked my battery and told me it was getting low and should consider changing it. I take it to the dealership since I am under warranty, and they tell me it is fine since it still starts the car.

Sometimes when I am just sitting at idle and go to roll two windows- or even sometimes one- the idle will dip and almost die then as well. Doesn't always do it- but it has become pretty noticeable and regular.

As for the AP, I'm not sure on the firmware. I bought off Boost_Addict's store a year ago now. I will have to bring it in and check it out- and also check to make sure I am still running the Stage 2 ACN map for 91 octane.
#7 Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Whats up with everyones batteries as of late? Subie trying to cut costs on batteries?

Even if the AP was new in the box, it might still need a firmware update (shelf life).

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Looks like my firmware is version 1.5.0.2-11526.

So now I am looking at updating the firmware, but all my computers run 64 bit windows 7- which Cobb's software doesn't support- go figure.

Will be messing with a virtual machine setup tomorrow then- had to do the same thing to register my Garmin- what a pain.

-D

EDIT: So I used a computer I just built for my mother for Mother's Day- runs 32 bit Win 7. Have the AP updated, now I will reflash the new V300 Stage 2 map tomorrow- and see if the AP will still talk to the ECU while the engine is running. I'm still thinking the battery is a bit of an issue- even if the dealer says its good to go. I know the car sat for a bit when I first ordered it- and then it only had light driving while I was finishing up my last six months in Iraq. During that time the battery did completely die once- so who knows. For a replacement I really like the optimas- but seems the new trend out here in the desert are those real light weight half batteries.....
#9 Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

shaggy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Whats up with everyones batteries as of late? Subie trying to cut costs on batteries?
my battery didn't even make it 2 years

SHAGGY
WRX- If you like fast, you'll love faster.
#10 Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Get an interstate and call it a day... Optima is overated

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okies-

So- did the whole re-flash thing and so far, the stutter has diminished- quite a bit. But since I did a reflash, the ECU seems to have gone back into a re-learn phase since I get a little throttle hesitation and not as responsive engine power. I remember it doing this when I first flashed Stage 2, so I will have to wait it out awhile to see if it made a long term difference.

Good news is the AP is talking to the ECU now when the motor is running- so thats a plus. Will have to keep an eye on it and see how long it lasts- hopefully it won't start the whole communication error thing again. Got in touch with a reputable tuner- going to see if he does AP tunes or not. If not, I will probably make the switch to open source and sell the AP- should cover the costs of tune plus cable.

Thanks guys- will let you know what happens....

-D
#12 Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Glad it worked out. AP's are like the wiminz. !Laugh!

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3