08 STi not boosting. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I almost laughed out loud reading the "power adders" line at the dealer. The fact that they put it in parenthesis is what bothered me. As if they're theoretical or unsafe. I am not trying to insult anyone's intelligence with that comment to be clear. I realize certain mods can be unsafe. I just felt like it was a stab at my intelligence when it was put in parenthesis like that. I have an appointment again on Monday morning at 7AM. Hopefully fuel system cleaner is what solves the problem.

I just don't like driving the car when it's not running properly. It reminds me of my old Integra in high school. I'd go out on dates and have to explain this problem and that problem to passengers, as if to put their mind at ease that the car wouldn't break down while we were out. That's my own thing, I know, but I decided long ago it was worth having a car payment to have a truly reliable car. With the way it's acting I can't even drive around without feeling that same old feeling like, "I'm pretty sure it's not going to break, so we're going to keep driving anyway." I wish Subaru could have gotten me an appointment sooner than Monday though.

BTW, anyone know how to clear the memory on the ECU so it restarts the "learning" process? It's not as bad so I was willing to give it a shot again after the fuel cleaner had been run through and see if that really was the problem.

The thing that bothers me the most about the way the car is acting that seems to contradict fuel problems is this:

I had been through 2 full tanks of premium fuel by the time I brought it to the dealer. If it were a fuel thing, then why would it have been misfiring when the tech cleared the memory again, as 2 tanks past the bad tank? Even a tiny bit of residual bad gas at less than a gallon twice (meaning it should be heavily diluted) shouldn't be enough to throw it off that many tanks later. That's at least my own reasoning. I am a logical person, so when I personally thought it could be a fuel thing I ran that tank empty (like where the needle is pointing to the middle line on the letter "E") and filled it up at another station and got 15.3 gallons into it. I believe our tanks are 16 gallons, so let's assume there's .7 gallons of contaminated fuel. If I assume that the second service station had clean fuel (hopefully that's a safe assumption - and I always fill up at Chevron), then that would mean that it was 96% clean fuel to 4% bad fuel. Take that 4% and let's assume that the next tank, which wasn't as empty, was also clean fuel. It was 14.8 gallons, leaving a total potential for contaminated fuel to be .3%. Not 3%, but .3%. I realize that if that clogged an injector or something that will still cause the misfire, and therefore I'm hoping the fuel cleaner works.

I generally try to treat my car with respect even though I wouldn't say I baby it. I'm realistic about what risks I put into my car, and I do occasionally drive it spiritedly. I would say I don't abuse my car, but I guess that's relative. I don't think anyone pays more for an STi to then drive it like a Buick. All my Subarus have lived up to their reputation so far of being a car you can love because they're so versatile, and you can drive them occasionally as an enthusiast. These aren't "Point A" to "Point B" cars, and have never been marketed as such. I think Subaru owners need to be more honest with the dealers about what abuse they put the car through when doing warranty work in order to simplify the process for the rest of us. End rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
In the past I have seen SOA not mention a downpipe and use other verbage to protect the customer (not sure this is their reasoning, just a thought) from warranty work.

To reset the ECU to start "learning/relearning" again, disconnect the battery for 30+ minutes and hold your foot on the brake pedal for a few seconds after you disconnect it to drain what is left in the system. Reconnect it after 30+ minutes.

This is where a debate may ensue. I have seen after you reconnect it and take it out on a drive most will dog the hell out of the car, others just a regular drive.

I would personally just baby it for a 30 minute drive.

On the fuel issue, have you ever dropped a can of seafoam in your tank ? That or B12 chemtool.

Another thing... Did you fill up at the same station both times ? My experience has led me to believe that each car has it's favorite go-go juice.... My MS3 hates Shell, my Subies loved it, but my Titan hated everything but Valero gas (food for thought),

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #18 of 32 Old 01-17-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Update: I'm driving in a loaner 2011 Impreza for now.

Here's the actual update: I continued to have the same issue even after 3 times bringing the car in and having the learning reset. I can reset the learning from my AP even without it married to the car (which I found out recently!). Friday I took it in (as a 3rd trip) and the tech rode with me and I was trying to cause it to run at the lower boost and misfire. I couldn't, and I felt like an ass with the tech in the car as I drove the car with a few WOT pulls and couldn't recreate the condition to cause it to reduce boost. I brought it home, tail between my legs, and was happy that the car was at least running okay. I kept it stock, as I prefer stock speed to less than stock with aftermarket parts. I married the AP to the car so I could monitor things, and within 5 minutes of flashing to stage 1 the car acted like a dog again. I flashed back to stock married mode and it ran okay for a little while, but as the learning continued it got worse and worse.

I unmarried the AP altogether to eliminate that as a possible variable, and ran through an entire learning cycle. This morning I took it in with it acting funny again, and the dealer knows me by name (I'm not ACTUALLY proud of that), and the tech hopped in and I successfully was able to show him what's happening. He replaced the boost control solenoid, and then said he wanted me to drive it to see if I thought it was fixed. I've figured out it's when I'm driving normally, and shifting at approx 3K like I regularly do that the car acts the worst. I got on the freeway with the new BCS in with the tech in the car too, and it was still misfiring between 2500-3000 rpm. To be clearer, it misfires at that range, and then the boost gets pulled after a little while of misfiring and it will no longer boost fully above 3K either. I know it shouldn't really boost at 2500.

They gave me a rental as they're not sure what it's going to take to fix it now, but at least we figured out how to make the car fail. . . That sounds wrong. I mean I can recreate the malfunction. I'm SUPER impressed with the service I've been receiving, especially after the last visit I had where nothing could be recreated. As long as it's getting fixed that's all I care about. The car is completely stock now so they're happy to continue diagnosing it. It wasn't a bad tank of gas, apparently. I am kind of excited that it's actually getting fixed. I almost started to get used to driving around at 8-9 PSI. I found myself second guessing that maybe the car was running okay. I can't imagine how much faster it used to be any more.

I know it's not fixed yet, but being that they gave me a car to use while they work on it, I don't really care how long it takes. I have to give props to Mark Miller Subaru for great service thus far, and I will absolutely continue to shop there, and Geoff (the service rep) and Josh (the tech) have just been awesome. I'm so satisfied just that it's not just me thinking my car is running like crap. We'll see how it goes from here on out. I'll update it when I get the car back.
post #19 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Triguy is an unknown
My car is doing the exact thing you described. Just as you posted the dealer suggested bad gas, but I have run several bottles of fuel cleaner and tried gas from 4 different stations now. What was the final resolution from the dealer? Did they fix your car? What was wrong?
Thanks
post #20 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
He needed a build :

STi #4 ringlands blown! Time to build it!

FYI... You might want to start your own thread to get more help.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #21 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
What paul said. Plus, if you have a warranty take it to the dealership and get it fixed. Take the mods off first and go back to stock if you have any mods on it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #22 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
What paul said. Plus, if you have a warranty take it to the dealership and get it fixed. Take the mods off first and go back to stock if you have any mods on it.
I wonder if I took mine in for warranty if they'd notice anything different...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #23 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Keith you don't own a 2010 wrx. Smart ass...lol

Kirt
post #24 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Hell I wonder if I would even be able to completely de-mod my car anymore

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #25 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Would probably take most of you guys 3 days to get it NEAR stock.... that's funny

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #26 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

My car is way past the point of stock. It'd take a lot to stripe off and add back on. Then flash back to a stock map which would really.....really kill a lot of fun out of the car.

Kirt
post #27 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I still don't have the car back just yet... my builder threw out his back, and now I'm trying to come up with another person who I can trust to build it but not charge 2000 for labor. I don't expect anyone to do it for 600 like my builder/friend, but I am starting to get impatient at this point. I guess it's beyond patience, because it has been since January that I last drove my car...

post #28 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Welcome back Brad. Man, that sucks. He must've really did a number on his back. My car is currently out of commission and in need of a new engine.

Kirt
post #29 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Keith you don't own a 2010 wrx. Smart ass...lol
Yeah, buuuuuuuuut there are parts on my car that are under warranty for 10 years after the build date...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgbiovO4C51qf8yek.gif

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 06-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.
post #30 of 32 Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Put the "[IMG] [/IMG]" tags around that link. lol

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement