06 wrx making weird noise - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

fosterdog06 is an unknown
06 wrx making weird noise

well i just got 06 wrx and i love it , but just resently on acceleration from 2 to 3 i have been hearing a pinging from the motor everthing else works great i have just put royal purple 10w40 and it runs great but this noise occurs when im in 3 at 50mph and then punch it it olny happen for a second or two it kind of sounds like something is loose in a way but i know nothing is loose my car has 12000 miles so its still brand new and i always put 91 gas in it and one time i mixed 101 with 91 to get a better ocatane points and all i have is cat back exhaust please tell me its something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Your going to have to try and pin point it better than that. Like is it more in the front or back, is it a rattle ect.

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#3 Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

fosterdog06 is an unknown
its a raddle coming from the front of the car only when im in 3 acclerating on the driver side

i used some octane boster resently and i think the noise went away but it came back after i went threw that tank and filled up agian

my wrx only has 12000 miles on it and its making a knocking noise from the motor and i when i acclerate and it started making this noise like 2 weeks ago and i have had a cat back for 3 months so i dout its that i know its from the i can definetly tell im just wondering if anyone else has experienced too i sometime have to run on E alot and i know that cant be to good for the car

Last edited by Ian; 10-04-2006 at 07:06 PM.
#4 Old 08-28-2006, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Do you have 93 octane available? I noticed my car runs a little smoother on 93 compared to 91. Most stations in my area have only 87/89/93 (very few have 91)...
#5 Old 08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Yeah, CT. has 93 for the highest octane. Try running your car close to empty then fill up with 93 if that what you can get and stick with that. Constantly switching back and forth could be messing with the computer.

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#6 Old 09-09-2006, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

vroompssh is an unknown
Red face

yea i have this weird knocking noise coming from the front passanger side only in the first and second gears and it seems as if it started when i put the first tank of 91 oct
#7 Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

karlmcw is an unknown
06 WRX strange noise

I also have been experiencing a strange noise with my new 06 wrx wagon. I have only had it for a month and it has 850 miles. I noticed the sound the day I drove it home from the dealer. I thought it sounded like it was pinging. It has continued to do so routinely under the same circumstances. The sound happens under light to moderate accelleration between the rpms of 2000 and 3000. It is more pronounced if the AC is on or if I am climbing a hill. It is also possible to feel a slight decrease in performance and stuttering, hesitance in the engine. As soon as the engine speed exceeds 3000 it quiets, smooths, and accellerates noticibly better.
I have just taken it to the dealer yesterday. A mechanic joined me for a test drive. He was easily able to hear it, he also said he could feel it from the passenger seat. He didn't think it was a ping. He said it did sound like it was coming from the engine bay. He described it as more of a "tick" to the service manager. I take it back to them tomorrow and leave it for a couple of days for them to drive it with the scan tool and to check in with Subaru. I'll let you know what I find out.
Incidentally, the fuel has been Sunoco 94 for the first two fill-ups, citgo 93 for the most recent. Fuel choice does not seem to have made a difference. I have been driving the car pretty gently during the break in for the most part. I still think the sound is ping.
Karl
#8 Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
If I understand what you are saying correctly, can you only hear it with the windows down?

If so, it's most likely wastegate flutter.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
#9 Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

karlmcw is an unknown
No, I can hear it with the windows up very clearly. I'm certain it is not a usual sound since I have friend with an 04 who doesn't have it, and more importantly, the mechanic at the dealership said it was not a normal sound.
This evening I drove along a highway that had a "jersey barrier" for an extended period. I opened the window figuring I might be able to hear the sound reflect off of the concrete wall back at me. WOW did I ever! If this sound is ping and I really think it is I don't think I want this engine I'm concerned to think of the damage that may have been mounting over the past month of regular detonation.
Any opinions?
#10 Old 10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

BithellWgn06 is an unknown
Question NooB2Scoob

Not to jump the wagon..pun intended... but I have the EXACT same type of noise in my car. I have an 06 WRX wagon and this is not only my first subaru, but also my first tubo and my first new car. I got it with only 9 miles on it and have just hit 1000. My first guess was paranoia, but I don`t racall this noise prior to about 500 or 600 miles. It sounds logical enough (you know with my turbo/ boxer/new car expertise ) that this might be a wastegate flutter. That being the case... is this normal.
On a side note this site kicks @$$ and I am looking foward to more feedback and knowledge from all here.
#11 Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

By the way I live in Ca. and the highest octane (and only one I use) is 91 in my area.
#12 Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

milehighWRX is an unknown
Maybe the noise you guys are hearing is the usual ticking noise. I was really worried about this when I first got the car. This is my 2nd turboed car and I hadn't experienced that noise before but just lining up next to an Outback or another WRX at a stop light put my mind at ease. I think many Subaru's make that ticking noise and maybe thats what you are experiencing. Mine ticks at idle once its warmed up....do you guys notice this noise at idle?
#13 Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I hear the noise at idle, but I dismissed this as valvetrain noise. The noise I am concerned with is specifically at 2000-3000 rpm under load only.
#14 Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have a solution to fix this and any other "noise" problem and tht is to remove my stock exhaust with something louder
#15 Old 10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

csped1108 is an unknown
+1 to loud exhaust haha...solves the problem for sure

'06 WRX---Black Pearl