06 rex with 6 lbs of boost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
06 rex with 6 lbs of boost

This guy my dad works with has an 06 wrx with short ram intake and cobb ap, He put headers and a catless down pipe on and also put on a bigger intercooler. His problem is he is now only running 6 pounds of boost. But then he put his car back to stock but i] think he still has the bigger intercooler and its still running 6 pounds of boost. I told him to check for exhaust leaks. I was reading on here about the restrictor pill problems and wastegate adjustment. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Well, I would suggest possible boost drop from the large intercooler, but it shouldn't drop it to way down to 6psi right? Sounds like a boost leak somewhere..... That sucks. Sorry, other than that, which i'm not even sure if that's what it is, that's all I got.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#3 Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
yeah i was thinking the intercooler also, with and exhaust or vaccum leak. But like you said the boost shouldnt drop that much
#4 Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Is his a top mount intercooler or front mount intercooler. FMIC's drop boost more than TMIC, but i thought it's only like .5 ~ 1 psi? So theres gota be a leak somewhere most likely....

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#5 Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Are you the first owner?
Do you run any kind of MBC/EBC/non-stock BCS?
What kind of tune you have on there, stock?

Sounds like wastegate boost, not necessarily a leak.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 08-28-2008, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
Its not my car mines the 04 sti, its a kid my dad work's with and he's the second owner but as far as i know he said somthing about a manual booost controller, as for engine managment i think he said he has a cobb accessport and I only talked to him on the phone its hard to diagnoise that way. He said he put headers and downpipe on and it never had proper boost and then he put it back to stock and still has same prob thats why i was thinking exhaust leak. what i dont know is if he tried to flash before the down pipe which then i believe ive read u might have to adjust the waste gate , and when he put it back to stock wit the same flash. The car is to far away for me to go and try and fix it and ive been running out of ideas and the kid seem like a noob so i dont wanna tell him how to adjust the wastegate. I dont wanna be resposible for him messing somthing up. Just looking for ideas and then maybe if I can pin point it i"ll fix it, just dont wanna make a bunch of trips. Thanks for the input
#7 Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Garage
Sounds like the problem is that at some point there was a MBC on the car (or still is). It needs to have that ripped off and the restrictor pill put back in the line. This will restore boost control to the ECU.

I would wager it is not a leak.

#8 Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
ok cool thanks for the help ill tell him to try that
#9 Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
The car had a mbc the car ran 17psi with it before the kids said. He put a down pipe on, bigger tmic, header ( he said he jacked up the motor to do the header?) He had AP. After the install he only had 6 psi of boost, returned it to stock and factory boost contoller and the samething happened. Now he put the mbc back on and he gets like 8psi now. Any ideas? I noticed someone hacked into the o2 sensor for a wideband, is it possible that could have fried a circut driver or something in the pcm like a limp mode? putting power or ground to a wire that your not supposed to? I wonder if thats why someone traded it in?
#10 Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 AM

Garage
yes, as I said above

When the stupid kid put the MBC on there, he removed the pill that goes in the line hence no matter what you do, you are having problems. You need to remove the MBC, replace the pill, and then your AP should work...

The CEL goes on if the car is in limp mode btw. Sounds like it's just not hitting more than wastegate boost.

#11 Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works - COBB Forums

Nothing like trying to diagnose a problem 4th party.Does this kid not own a computer?He will probably need to go to a dealship and order the vacuum hoses for the turbo that come with the pill and the "T".Link above shows all the parts needed and how they are run.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#12 Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
He took it to a dealer and they told him it was fine that those were the specs. I told the kid to call the dealer and he said they told him that his car doesnt have a restrictor pill. I don't know if he was just b/s me.
#13 Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Garage
Either he lied about talking to the dealer or the dealer he talked to lied to him. Either way, if the car had an MBC on it, this is a VERY common problem. He needs new lines.

#14 Old 10-03-2008, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

jrswrx69 is on thin ice
Send a message via Yahoo to jrswrx69
ive got an 06 wrx i had the same problem with my boost it was the pill and crack vacum lines on it hes probly got a vacum t on it wich is also causeing the problem once he replaces the vacum lines and checks his y pipe for leaks he should be back to normal from an ase tech
#15 Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

armykilla101 is an unknown
a straight stock wrx comes with 6 to 10lbs of boost stock. changing the map, it still shouldn't drop below that at full throttle. mine on a stock turbo was at 10.5lbs with it mapped was 18 lbs on a stock turbo. on a 18g turbo it was 21.5 lbs. off tune again was 6 lbs.