05 WRX hesitation at 4500rpm after having a viper alarm installed... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
05 WRX hesitation at 4500rpm after having a viper alarm installed...

Yesterday I had Best Buy Install a Viper Alarm.

Today I have lost all engine power 5 times at 4500rpm only to instantly regain full power.
It's most noticeable when in 3rd gear at WOT getting on the interstate.
It feel's like some one is turning the ignition off then back on...

It doesn't happen every time and it never happened before Best Buy installed the alarm.

Status of the Car:

1. It is throwing a code. I have a mass air flow sensor on the way to fix the problem. (This is a pre-existing condition prior to the hesitation)

2. The car has the following mods that I know of: Cold air intake, full turbo back exhaust, STI intercooler.

Any ideas?

Added more details

Added more details again.

Fixed

Last edited by SpockFive; 09-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Any tune? That'd be a good reason your car is getting a CEL, if you are not tuned.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Any tune? That'd be a good reason your car is getting a CEL, if you are not tuned.
What do you mean by CEL?
#4 Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
cel is short for check engine light or like you said throwing a code
#5 Old 08-28-2011, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Having a Cold Air Intake (CAI) and no tune is a recipe for a check engine light. Especialy when most CAIs need to be tuned by a professional. Which intake do you have and do you have a tune at all? Because even a full turbo back exhaust needs a stage 2 map...but, with your mods you need a custom map. READ: protune or keep risking damage to the engine.

Kirt
#6 Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
A little off topic, but related..A while back I saw a thread that had all the abbriviations for the terms used here. Does anyone remember the thread? Can you ubump if if you do? I looked but ..... It would answer those whats a CEL? type questions. I have trouble keeping up too sometimes and have to goggle what yall are talking about. It was a very long list. I found some of the shorter list. Back to the og post....

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#7 Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
Thanks for everyone's input.

Hears some more info on whats going on.

I bought the car used From what I understand it dose have a costume map. The check engine light has been on for the last week. I have a new mass airflow sensor on the way. From what I have been told that will fix the check engine light.

What I don't understand is that my car has been fine with the check engine light until best buy installed the alarm. I drove relatively easy on the way home.

To day on my way into work I had it in 3rd gear and was going from one interstate to the next. at around 4500 rpm's it hiccuped and lost all power then quickly regained full power. This has now happened to me about 7 times through out the day. Between 4000-5000rpm's in 3rd gear and around 3500-3800 rpm's in 4th gear.

It doesn't always do it so I'm wondering if a wire under the dash got messed up. I came across a post on a different sight talking about hesitation around 4500 rpm's being caused by a wire going from vehicle speed sensor to the ecm. I don't know if that's the same case for me I just know that the guy that installed the alarm spend about 30 minutes poking and prodding the wires until he found a wire for the parking lights that was hot when the car was turned off.
#8 Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Probably the MAF getting confused then....because it is going out. Did you clean the MAF first?

Kirt
#9 Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

SpockFive is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Probably the MAF getting confused then....because it is going out. Did you clean the MAF first?
I just spoke to the Subaru Dealership in my area. Their service department said that The MAF being out Would not be the cause of the hesitation and that I should continue with my plan of taking the car back to Best Buy. They also told me that If Best Buy can't figure it out that Best Buy would need to remove the alarm system so the Subaru Technicians can do their diagnosis.

Would disconnecting the battery cause the car to loose its tune?

Last edited by SpockFive; 08-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.
#10 Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

No...it would cause it to lose its realtime map, but not the flashed map. That one is permanant unless you fry the ecu or flash a new map.

Kirt
#11 Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Try unplugging the MAF sensor and see what happens.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1456 View Post
A little off topic, but related..A while back I saw a thread that had all the abbriviations for the terms used here. Does anyone remember the thread? Can you ubump if if you do? I looked but ..... It would answer those whats a CEL? type questions. I have trouble keeping up too sometimes and have to goggle what yall are talking about. It was a very long list. I found some of the shorter list. Back to the og post....

Your wish is my command... and another thread within that thread...

Acronims?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Or this: Newb Accronyms

Kirt
#14 Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good reading into my post Kirt....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Some people won't read into it....just covering all bases.

Kirt