05 overheating, +RPM - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
05 overheating, +RPM

The other day was the first time i really put my WRX through a full day of stop and go driving in summer heat. I was sitting in a drive thru and noticed that it was idling at 1500 rpm and the temp was just a hair below redline. I quickly turned off the AC and it jumped to 2000 rpm. I drove it for a couple miles and cooled off and rpm's were normal at idle. All it needed was for the reservoir to be filled with coolant and it's fine now. My question is, is it normal for the rpm's to raise to compensate for increased engine heat, or is something out of whack? I've never known a vehicle to do this in an overheating situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Ive never heard of anything like that. I'm guessing it was because of overheat issue. Try to monitor it and see if it does it again. Wait till it gets to full operating temp and turn it on and off and see if you can get it to duplicate.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Did you also check to see if your electric fans on your radiator still come on when the engine temp goes up? Your problem might have only been due to the low coolant, but it sounds quite odd.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

413TreX is an unknown
ive had that happen to me a few times on my 03 just mines not over heating, cant figure it out either. i think my throttle body gets gummed up or somethin becuase if i open hood and press it back everything is normal. is there a way to stop that?
#5 Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
mine will seem to stick at 1100rpm sometimes 2 i just get on it a bit and let off and itll go down but never overheats
#6 Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Clean the IAC valve and throttlebody.............

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#7 Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
The fans work properly and I actually clean throttlebody and IAC every other oil change. I tried to duplicate it today and it didn't do it. I'm guessing it all had to do with a heat issue which has been resolved. I do recall that the Ford Super Duty trucks will increase RPM @ Idle to compensate for engine heat but they on the other hand have a belt driven fan...