05 Oil Filter Removal - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
05 Oil Filter Removal

So, I drained the oil and now I can't get the oil filter off. Is there some trick. I can get the oil fliter wrench on the filter but I can't move it!!?! Any suggestions or tricks I need to know about? I have a standard oil filter wrench, is there a different kind of wrench that would be easier to turn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
do you have the socket thing or the band with a handle? I have the band with a handle....just make sure your turning leftie loosey....which upside down is normally right. Just double check it before your under the car and compare it to being under the car. If your wrenching it tight...then it's going to be a SOB to get off. Good luck.
#3 Old 10-04-2009, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

midniteblack is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to midniteblack
Just get some good leverage and yank on that sucker. Nothing else to it. When you install your new filter just screw in on snug with your hand.
#4 Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you absolutely can't get it loose, you can always ram a screwdriver all the way through the very bottom of it and use that as leverage. I'd only do that as a last resort though. Just stay as close to the bottom of the filter as you can so you don't damage the threads. Poke it through gently and be prepared for a tiny mess. (see image, and please forgive the 2 second paint drawing)

Before you do that though, you could also try spraying a dab of Brakleen on a rag and wiping the oil filter off before you use the wrench. Don't get that stuff on your paint though because it'll take it right off. Sometimes the outside of the oil filter gets a little dirty from dust and road grime and whatnot and that can cause the oil filter wrench to not grip it enough to get the thing off.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)

Last edited by man show; 10-04-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added a pretty picture
#5 Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
yeah, I've had trouble with that the first time I did oil change on my cars after the shops had done it...I use the kind you put on the socket and I think it works awesome...one of those might be easier for you to use.
#6 Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have the socket kind too. I find that when I use it, I have to wipe the rubber feet AND my oil filter with Brakleen to get a sufficient amount of grip. Most of time time, I can get the filter off with my hand though.

John
#7 Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Also with that socket type, if for some reason it's not really tight, then I usually stick a rag up inbetween the filter and the wrench to give it a little tighter of a grip.

Last edited by airplnmdls; 10-07-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: forgot the word "not"
#8 Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

...a rag soaked in Brakleen

Clean rubber is sticky rubber.

John
#9 Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Thanks for the info. I have a band type filter remover. Like I said, I can get it on the filter, I just cant get enough leverage to get it off. I will try and find a socket type! Man Show, I have used the screwdriver method before on my Prelude. Not ideal, but it works!!
#10 Old 10-05-2009, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Heh, yeah, I've used it too. I almost felt embarrassed to mention that, but hey, if you need to use it as a last resort or to relieve stress by stabbing something... it does work. My socket type doesn't really work extremely well unless I wipe off the oil filter AND the rubber feet of the tool (which I had to super glue on the metal arms because the tool was cheap and they kept slipping and sliding and popping off because I dropped it in the oil pan once - d'oh!) with some Brakleen (notice a trend?) and even then I have to grip it with my hand a little sometimes to keep the tool from slipping. And no, I'm not over-tightening my filter - just hand-tightened between 2/3-3/4 of a turn once it makes contact. I guess I just have some moments of laziness. I bet one of those rubber jar-gripper pads would probably get it off too. Anyway, just figure out what works for you and roll with it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Meow.

John