04 WRX Grinding - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

subylove is an unknown
04 WRX Grinding

Hi, i've searched all over the place and brought it to my dealer and haven't found anything on this yet, but i see people post about it aswell.

If i let off the gas when im in gear to decelerate, i hear a loud grinding noise coming from under the car i believe. It sounds like the heat shield is rattling, but it isn't. the dealership told me they couldn't find anything. also i notice that if i'm in 4th gear and going about 40mph and at about 2000-2100 rpms it feels as if my car is struggling to drive. also a few times ive raced, when switching into 4th gear, the car would automatically push it into 2nd as i was shifting to 4th for me.

anyone have any ideas of what this could be? i am afraid it might be something with the transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think I know exactly what that is, because I've been experiencing that for a couple of years now. Obviously it's a condition that's not going to blow anything up.

The tranny shaft that your clutch release bearing (throw-out bearing) sits on gets worn, and what your hearing on deceleration, is the bearing vibrating on that shaft. When your on power and the clutch is loaded, it doesn't do it.

Subaru or some aftermarket parts place make a sleeve-ing kit to remedy the problem, but its more expensive than the noise is annoying so I haven't done it. Maybe when I do the clutch next time. I get the noise in 3rd and 4th.

The rest of your post regarding the shifting is a little confusing, but yeah cruising in 4th at 40mph, there's not much power. Downshift..... simple

Hope that helps