04 WRX with Accessport tuning failing emissions test because of "readiness" - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
04 WRX with Accessport tuning failing emissions test because of "readiness"

Hey guys,

I just went and had my car emissions tested at the same place I did two years ago, even the same kid did it. I was confident my vehicle would pass because I have the Cobb Accessport blocking the CEL from coming on, which would cause me to fail. I haven't done a single thing to my car in the last two years. My car is heavily modded now, and was then, as well.

I failed because 2 of the 10 or so monitors were "Not Ready" to give any feedback to the tester so its an auto-fail. They pretty much accused me of resetting the battery and driving it to them, even though thats not true, and I could even prove it with the 960 miles that were on the tachometer since I've reset it. They told me to drive it like 50 miles and come back. But I know that wont do anything because I know Ive driven it 960 miles since its been reset.

Of the 10 monitors that there are, the 2 that were not ready are the "Oxygen Sensor" and the "Catalyst". I could be wrong, but these seem like the 2 sensors that are being blocked by the Accessport so I dont get a CEL for my exhaust.

Did the technology somehow change in the last 2 years and now its realizing that the Accessport is altering something in my cars computer?

Im debating whether or not I should reset my ECU again and do the recommended drive cycle and then bring it straight to them. I mean, if the monitors werent "ready" in 1k miles, they arent going to be ready at all, I wouldnt think..

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd drive it 50 miles and see what happens. What's the next step if you auto-fail again?

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you remove a sensor (maybe a catless up pipe mod) since last time? I would assume even though the code is deleted, removing a sensor has to set off a flag on the ecu.

-Chris
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
If I auto-fail again, I dont know what the next step is, really. Maybe try a different shop.

I haven't done a single thing to my car in over 2 years
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, try driving it 50 miles to another shop maybe. If it passed before and you didn't do a single thing (mod-wise) between then and now, something's up. It should be able to pass again - unless the standards or testing procedures have changed? Hmm, I really don't know what to tell you.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
If you change maps even it will go into "not ready" mode. The shop should retest the car for free too. You don't have to disconnect the battery to reset the codes. An AP can also clear those codes which would not allow it to go through its full cycle. Have you even changed maps or anything in the last little while (Valet, Economy Mode, etc.?) That's my input. Regarding the testing, shops try to tell you that it's somehow linked and you can't get it tested at another shop, but that's a lie, at least it is in Utah. Just make sure that you don't do any changes with the AP in that time.

If you haven't changed anything on the AP lately, then I would do like you were saying and reset it and really it doesn't usually take 50 miles to finalize its settings. Usually for me it's about 20 miles or so. If you know anyone with a code reader they'll have a readiness test on them too. Good luck. If you were in Utah I'd have you swing by and I'd let you use mine.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Thanks for the input. I think Im going to reset the codes using my AP and then drive it for a few days and then go back in for my free retest.

Most CEL readers have a readiness monitor? I didnt know that, maybe my brother has one so I can see if its ready.

Does resetting the codes using the AP cause all of the monitors to reset as well?