Subaru WRX Forum banner

04 Fog light replacement

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ian 
#1 ·
I recently had one of my fog (driving) lights to go out so I ordered some replacement Koito Whitebeams. The instructions on the Koito's said "Installation is simple, just reverse the steps you took to remove the old bulb"WTF Think I'll send that one in to Leno for his Headlines segment! The owners manual says something like "This is a complex procedure and should be performed by you Subaru Dealership."

So, I take off the inner fender, unplug the bulb, twist off the back cover and find two small phillips screws with some funky shaped wire connecting them. Not knowing what else to do, I took out one of the screws. That is when I found out that the screws actually held in the funky wire which I think was actually a spring. When the screw came out, the wire popped off and the old bulb fell out into my hands.

OK, now I've got the bulb out but having difficulty figuring out how that spring was attached to the base by the two screws.:confused: Any voices of experience out there?

#4 ·
They're H3's. That's my plan for this weekend, get in to the other side to see what it looks like. Just ran out of time last Sunday working on it & thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before I got back into it. Maybe I should write it up & post it after I figure it out.

#5 ·
I took a quick look at mine and it looks like that spring thing you lost might be part of the retaining piece(for lack of a better term).

Good luck. I'd like to see your post on this. I want to change all my bulbs to PIAAs(sp?). Now if I can figure out how to change my turn/side marker lens.

#6 ·
I didn't loose the spring wire, I just can't figure out how to position it back on the screws. Sounds like a Sunday afternoon project on the side I haven't f***ed up yet so I can learn from my mistakes. I'll keep you posted...

#7 ·
You deffinitly don't have to unscrew anything to get the bulbs out, once you remove the sheild you have to twist off the cover like you did, and then there is a spring like retainer that should have a hoop on one end that you can push down and over to release the bulb. Not the best way to describe it but hope it helps a little. The best thing to do is look at the other side without removing much to see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.