04 Fog light replacement - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
04 Fog light replacement

I recently had one of my fog (driving) lights to go out so I ordered some replacement Koito Whitebeams. The instructions on the Koito's said "Installation is simple, just reverse the steps you took to remove the old bulb" Think I'll send that one in to Leno for his Headlines segment! The owners manual says something like "This is a complex procedure and should be performed by you Subaru Dealership."

So, I take off the inner fender, unplug the bulb, twist off the back cover and find two small phillips screws with some funky shaped wire connecting them. Not knowing what else to do, I took out one of the screws. That is when I found out that the screws actually held in the funky wire which I think was actually a spring. When the screw came out, the wire popped off and the old bulb fell out into my hands.

OK, now I've got the bulb out but having difficulty figuring out how that spring was attached to the base by the two screws. Any voices of experience out there?

Both of my girls are too hot for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
sounds like the bulbs are the H1 type. if so you could try looking at the other one and see how it is put together.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#3 Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I do believe that the 04 fog lights are the same as my 02, and mine are H3 bulbs. They should have had a clip to attach it to the wiring harness though.... I'l go check mine in a bit if I can see.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#4 Old 03-02-2006, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
They're H3's. That's my plan for this weekend, get in to the other side to see what it looks like. Just ran out of time last Sunday working on it & thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before I got back into it. Maybe I should write it up & post it after I figure it out.

#5 Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I took a quick look at mine and it looks like that spring thing you lost might be part of the retaining piece(for lack of a better term).

Good luck. I'd like to see your post on this. I want to change all my bulbs to PIAAs(sp?). Now if I can figure out how to change my turn/side marker lens.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#6 Old 03-02-2006, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
I didn't loose the spring wire, I just can't figure out how to position it back on the screws. Sounds like a Sunday afternoon project on the side I haven't f***ed up yet so I can learn from my mistakes. I'll keep you posted...

#7 Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
You deffinitly don't have to unscrew anything to get the bulbs out, once you remove the sheild you have to twist off the cover like you did, and then there is a spring like retainer that should have a hoop on one end that you can push down and over to release the bulb. Not the best way to describe it but hope it helps a little. The best thing to do is look at the other side without removing much to see how it goes.

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)