03 wrx cel on for awhile - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
03 wrx cel on for awhile

i have had this check engine light on for like a year , i reset the ecu and it stayed off long enough to pass inspection , but popped right back on again . from what i understand it comes up system too lean , BANK 1 . i talked to some people and they said it needs an oxygen sensor . you guys seem to know your shit , so help .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
well from my knowledge when the O2 sensors go bad they throw a CEL for a bad O2 sensor not a lean condition on bank 1...and for future reference saying please never hurts...but what was the exact CEL code

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 05-24-2009, 03:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
My guess is that it's a vacuum leak. I had the same code (P0171) a little while back and it was caused by my PCV not having a good seal and thus a vacuum leak.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#4 Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
the code is indeed p0171 , thanks guys . throw your thoughts out PLEASE .
#5 Old 05-24-2009, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
stop triple posting!!!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah but you could just edit your post and add on instead of just reposting when nobody replies to you...it tends to keep the threads here nice and tidy

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#7 Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
mods cold air intake cat back exhaust
#8 Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
turbosmart bov
#9 Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
Nice you just failed for making a guess for not having all the info.
Looks like I did have the info I needed. P0171 is a running lean code. Most common reason for the code is a vacuum leak. The picture you posted is on the intake manifold... If that line came off, guess what? VACUUM LEAK.

Nice fail on your part for not realizing that along with the fact that 95% of my posts have been in the PROBLEM DIAGNOSIS section and a large number of them have been correct.

#10 Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
This thread is filled with fail and win.

+1 taxi knows his shit.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#11 Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
thanks guys i will check that line tomorrow . big help !!
#12 Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
hey taxi - how many pounds of boost should i be pushing ?
#13 Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrx84 View Post
hey taxi - how many pounds of boost should i be pushing ?
Depending on the gauge, 14psi or .09 MPa on the stock one. That is unless you are tuned for more but you didn't say you had a tune so I'm assuming you don't. If you're not getting that, let me know how much boost you are seeing and we can go from there.

One quick question, the BOV you have... Is that set up as a 50/50 or fully atmospheric?

Quote:
Why not wait and get the full details before posting what to check, you could have made this kid buy a bunch of parts he didn't need to try and solve the problem. Think before you act. So your going off what is most common because the other reasons never happen since all cars are the same correct. Wait till you get the full details before you start blabbing off.
Well, let's see. I've had this problem. I didn't need the exact DTC since he listed it as Bank 1 Lean. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that code is P0171, just someone with the right software. Basically, pick any DTC number or description and I can tell you what the other is. Make one up that doesn't exist, I'll make you look like an idiot.

The reason I suggest what is most common is that is the most likely cause. If it's not, we can figure it out once it's determined it's not the typical reason. I've been doing this for a while and I've learned that starting with the cheapest, most common cause for a problem is generally the best one. For example, if he isn't getting 14psi on the gauge, I'm going to suggest three things. Boost leak before the throttle body if it's between 10psi and 14psi, if it's holding at 10psi, he needs to check that the orifice (restrictor pill) is between the turbo outlet and the T. If it's below 10psi, he needs to check the wastegate actuator. Again, I've either worked on cars that had these issues or I've had them on my own 03.

If you really want to continue this discussion, I suggest taking it to PMs. Don't think the OP would like seeing their thread get jacked by you trying to discredit me and my knowledge of Subaru problems.

#14 Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
So basically since you had the same code and it was from a vacuum leak then it must be a leak right? You are aware a bad maf, O2 sensor, ignition misfire, fuel injector problem can also throw that code, but of course you didn't say anything about that. Why because yours wasn't bad.
I'm restating this because apparently you don't read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
If you really want to continue this discussion, I suggest taking it to PMs. Don't think the OP would like seeing their thread get jacked by you trying to discredit me and my knowledge of Subaru problems.
Secondly, yes I know all about the MAF, O2 sensor, fuel issues, etc but those would mean throwing parts at a problem that may be as simple as a hose that isn't connected. Hmm, looks like you are wanting him to throw parts at a problem as you stated I was going to be getting him to do earlier. Again, I'm going with the simplest and most common problem FIRST. Until he checks the lines, it's pointless to argue about this. Unless of course you are just trying to start crap which, if that's the case, the mods can deal with you.

#15 Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

03wrx84 is an unknown
guys done argue about something stupid , you both are helping the cause and i appreciate it . okay so i am only push 8 #s right now taxi , its been that way for as long as i can remember . i am not tuned . as far asa how my bov is set up , i have no idea. i bought the car with it on already. all i can see is turbosmart and if you turn in one direction its hard and the other soft . very limited knowledge . thanks again