Subaru WRX Forum banner

03 wrx boost issue

6K views 34 replies 5 participants last post by  BoostinChick 
#1 ·
so just started happen recently and seems like the turbo isnt boosting. car would lag alot right around the 2k rpm then picks up a little once it hits about 3500 rpm. Car would then hesitate to get into boost for a little bit and i have a boost gauge and its sitting very low only until about 4 to 5 psi and wouldnt go past that

#3 ·
no noise nothing no cel or anything i have this electronic boost gauge and it seems i cant get past 7 psi boost plus car feels like there no power in 25 to 33k rpms then all of a sudden boost kicks in but only to 5 to 6 psi and thats it. i've checked bcs wastegate and even checked the turbo for shaftplay and there is barely any im stumped as to what it could be and its really annoying me

#8 ·
Did you change the entire exhaust from the turbo back or just the cat back? If you just changed the cat then that isn't your problem... 7psi is wastegate pressure, so I'd suspect maybe something turbo related...

#9 ·
I had that problem for a moment when I had my vacuums mixed up.
Psinuse is correct and we see this happen from time to time, it's just a matter of seeing what's tuned for what and what has been tinkered with usually. Sometimes it's mechanical failure tho.

#10 ·
its all catless and i just changed from the exhaust i didnt change the downpipe and could to little or to much oil aslo affect it by chance? the turbo seems to spin fine with minimal shaft play but still might try to replace it and hopefully the helps im stumped also changed the bcs with another and that didnt chance anything. The wastegate also seemed to be good to

#11 ·
Changed you BCS? So did you go with a stock one...I know this goes against the grain, but if you can borrow a MBC try putting it on for a test drive and see if the turbo generates more boost. If not you have either a serious boost leak somewhere, might even be a tear in the intercooler pipe or your turbo has crapped itself.

#19 ·
1-You need the car looked over by a dealer or a few buddies that know Subies.
2-Get a boostleak test done or do what Keith said and look under the TMIC for leaks.

Could this be another "missing pill" car?

#25 ·
i have no idea what he did i mean he tightening some screws cause apparently it was causing soem clunking noise and a little pushing of some items and i left and now that stalling and or delay is gone and turbo seems to be spooling perfectly fine now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.